Sound reduction of traffic noise

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by matthewrhysjohnson, Jun 26, 2016.

1. matthewrhysjohnson

matthewrhysjohnson New Member

Hi,

I'm a novice on building and sound proofing so any help or input greatly appreciated!

I recently moved into a terraced house in a village and the front room opens straight onto the high street. I am looking to reduce the traffic noise. Here is some info…

Road facing wall: 3.50 (w) x 2.20m (h), wooden door in corner
    Construction of wall: timber
    Window size: 1.10 (w) x 1.40m (h)
    Window type: sash window(listed) plus 4mm secondary window. Internal gap is approximately 100mm at top and 50mm at bottom

I am looking at:

1. Installing 6mm SGG Stadip Silence acoustic laminate instead of the 4mm existing pane

2. Fixing NSSW2 Plus acoustic panels to the stud/timber wall. I can’t afford to lose too much space and these panels are 30mm
    Do you have any experience of the above, and do you think this will significantly reduce the noise coming through?

Thanks.

2. matthewrhysjohnson

matthewrhysjohnson New Member

Attached Files:

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Matthew, get rid of the wooden door and try a GRP door. Window shutters, heavy curtains and have you got an open flue for the chimney? I'm a great fan of open fires but best in the form of an enclosed multi-fuel stoves. It cuts down on noise from outside; honestly it's amazing.

Apply to the Council to have traffic calming measures installed in the street, simple but effective.

Good luck