Source for odd, one-off, screw bits?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by pilze, Apr 26, 2016.

1. pilze

pilze New Member

Hi there,

I've got a 'Rolson' branded version of this:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-all-purpose-screwdriver-bit-set-100-pieces/8450h

Over the last couple of years a couple of the bits have either gone missing or have been damaged - they aren't amazing quality bits but then a couple of them have been maltreated or had a hard life.

If I just wanted to replace the ones which are duds but keep the rest, is there a pic n' mix style place where I can just say, OK I want hollow torx size X, and flat head size Y? Or do I just have to buy a new kit if I want the full set? I feel like Screwfix should just have a huge array of plastic bins with a couple of generous handfuls of bits in each bin that I can pick from :)

Cheers!

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

3. pilze

pilze New Member

Thanks for the link, I see what you mean - but I couldn't find any hollow torx or flat head the size that I wanted. Shame they don't sell strips of all the sizes of a specific type. Lots of PZ/PH number 2 or 3. I saw the exact same box I've got as clearance for 1.99, which I hadn't seen before on there, so I imagine that's my best bet :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

PZ2 is the most common size for carpentry, I buy in bags of 100 for less than £8.00

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Funnily enough I was attempting the exact same thing a week ago !

Got loads of various odd bits and various sets with funky heads (supposedly tamper proof) but have 1 particular set, with ratchet screwdriver that I really like and it's my "go to" bit set

A lot of these bits and sets come with very poor quality bits that just wreck themselves under 1 st use. It really is a case of pay a little or a lot more and get better quality bits

So, frequently used bits, I tend to replace with decent Wera or Dewalt bits. Avoid the mega cheap 10 bits for a quid, even if they are gold (in colour) at around 10 pence each, you really can't expect much in terms of quality

But, your right pilze, these bit sets do come with odd size bits, but just regular shape, ie PZ, Slotted, Phillips, that you can't seem to buy on their own

I do sometimes but another bit set and use this for top ups but as usual, a search on eBay will probably turn up what ur looking for (just avoid the super cheap "bargains" - they won't be :( or worth the bother

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to spend a bit more & buy a quailty set , from a respected brand, most likely works out cheaper than buy invidual bits.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The 100 for £8.00 from a competitor last as long as any I have bought before which includes the high tech ones with torsion zones and what have you.