Spam cluttering up boards

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by teabreak, Mar 24, 2014.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi can any of the Screwfix team explain why the gobbledygook postings can not be filtered out?
    You can see on the list of viewing members some are identified as robots, are these the authors of these posts?
    So darn annoying. My connection is a bit slow at the moment getting that annoying jump in the page a few seconds after loading or a delay in responding to a click so a you do a second one and as a result I ended up clicking on one of the links in a spam posting. Security software says that one is ok but so easy to get caught though, is there nothing that can be done to filter these? Perhaps as has been suggested before delaying new posters until at least their first post has been moderated?

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

robots are usually the likes of Google scanning the content of a thread for inclusion within their search results

I thought one of the main reasons for moving to the new forum software was to enable the filtering of the unwanted content far quicker and easier - it does look as if the spammers are winning the race

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why is spam still arriving at 11am from the same source? The mods should have been at work since 9am and blocked it.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If they were they'd have blocked you. :p:p:p

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never been blocked! I have been warned once or twice ;)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

From memory, the join-up process is relatively easy isn't it compared to other boards which require things such as colour of grandparents eyes! :p

I appreciate Screwfix want lots of members (and not to put off people signing up through a long-winded process) although anyone wanting to make genuine use of the forum would be prepared to wait. Perhaps a manual review of registration (i.e if so many attempts from same source) and time delay in joining and posting would help?

Just my tupence worth?

7. Phil the Paver

I belong to a motorcycle forum, on there your first 5 posts have to be cleared by a Moderator, that site never has any posted spam on it.

Biochef likes this.
  8. I find that by the time you've read through all the spam threads, visited the sites, signed up and given your credit card details, there's very little time to do much else on here.

I mean, I used to have time to write 'pointless' posts on here, but not any more.

9. FatHands

Pleased to hear business is doing well DA! :)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well the spam's gone but I'm still here :)

11. Phil the Paver

Slipped through the net again, " we're going to need a bigger boat" :p

12. FatHands

:p

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Time to call in the Rockers then:cool:

[​IMG]
    "The best motorcycle in the world"
    "Nulli Secundus"

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

images.jpg

Great sound!

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it possible that the screwfix select members could hide posts from suspected spammers during "out of hours" which the mods could then review when they came back to work? If it was a genuine post it could be reposted with only the loss on any insomniacs input.
    The mods would see who was hiding posts and if any one was over zealous they could be offered advice.
    The majority of the multiple posting garbage and slimming tips happens at night and weekends and stays there till 10am.

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Strange silence from Screwfix:rolleyes:

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

DA has banned them all

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

DA is only a well known member not select, how did his member get so well known but not selected?

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

he's way above us mere immortals, we are simple selected folk - he is the chosen one