Sparky advice on RCD or not?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mr moose, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Hi folks, Am looking for a bit of advice, I have a small garage workshop which is attached to the side of our house, it has a ring main circuit from the house consumer unit, and the consumer unit has a rccb within 80 amp load and 100 mA trip , should I get an RCD on the garage circuit or is it OK as it is? I use normal wood working power tools in the garage.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you're not planning to use any outdoor equipment and the sockets were installed before the 17th. edition came into force I would say don't bother with a 30 m/a. Of course if the sockets have been installed since 17th edition came into force then they should be 30m/a rcd protected.

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

There is a socket that we take power out into the garden, but was thinking of replacing it with a RCD 2 gang socket, I have extended the garage circuit since the 17th.

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If you have installed any extra sockets, then they should have been provided with 30mA RCD protection.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes just use an 30mA SRCD as proposed.

6. magicmerlin

magicmerlin New Member

hi there that is a fail on a periodic inspection

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No it isn't. There is no such thing as a fail. Satisfactory or unsatisfactory. He is putting an SRCD on so no problem anyway.

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

On an EICR (formally PIR), Absence of RCD protection for "portable or mobile equipment that may reasonably be expected to used outdoors" is recommended as a C2 code by the NIC. Absence of RCD protection to other sockets is recommended as a code C3.

A report with any C1 or C2 items becomes "Unsatisfactory".

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Confession time!
    As you guys would have gathered from my original post I am not a Sparky but a carpenter and did a bit of small scale electrics for customers until part P came in , now I just do stuff on my own house,(yes I know that it is now considered " illegal") I did buy the RCD all ready, but just wanted to check that I had to fit it, it is not called a SRCD though just an RCD .
    Ok here is the embarrassing bit, I don't know how to fit the RCD!
    I would probably get a sparkey in but my problem is that although I am pretty sure that the electrics are safe some of them may not all comply with all of the regulations and i dont want to fork out a whole heap of money or risk getting them failed.
    Perhaps i am being overly paranoid, and perhaps I will just fit the RCD myself once some nice sparkey has told me how to do it.;)

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I want to convert my attic...i have no tools or any idea about carpentry or building regulations, Mr Moose can you tell me how to it as i dont want to use a local chippy and give him the opportunity to earn a living .
    cheers
    RS

Risteard likes this.
  11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Post a pic of what you purchased please and I (or someone else) will explain.