Special location

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Quiche81, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

Question.

Would a room containing a 'Shower' but not a shower tray, be classed as a special location.

Scenario that made me ask this is a dog parlour, it has a Triton 7.2Kw next to a sink, the isolator switch
    is right next to the shower itself. I'd say this is, shower tray or sink, its a shower.

Was installed by a Full Scope who told the owner this wasnt classed as a special location as its not domestic
    nor a bathroom and contains no shower tray, theres plugs etc and everything in a room about 3M square.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Well the regs say a special location is a room containing a bath or a shower, straight forward you would think, all we have to do now is work out what a shower is. A bath is something you lie down in to get clean so I would imagine a shower is something you stand up in to get clean. I wouldn't class something that heats water up as a shower in itself if its used elswhere.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A shower is a shower, whether you stand or shower in the sink, it's a shower - in a room. A shower room.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

A shower tray does not define a shower.
    Lack of a tray just extends zones 0 and 1 into what would be zone 2 if there were a tray.
    A shower is a spray of water you immerse yourself in to clean your body.
    Anything else may use the exact same parts as a shower, but is essentially nothing more than a hose.

5. peter palmer

If you build a room, screw an electric shower to the wall and put a shower tray down for the sole purpose of washing your dog I would say that is not a special location and could have sockets and switches in it (maybe outdoor type though due to water splashing)

Quiche81 likes this.
  6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If however it was intended for you to wash at the same time as the dog, then it would be.

7. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

How does a wetroom work then :D

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's the same as hair salons too.

You need to be sensible. It is not a shower room. You are not getting naked and wet, reducing your resistance and making shocks more likely to be lethal. You are washing your dog, as you would with a jug.

Quiche81 likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Isn't a kitchen a 'special location' because of the facility of the sink being in the room?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A kitchen is not a special location under bs7671, never has been. It was under part p, due to dodgy kitchen wiring being commonplace, but no longer is.

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Still is in Wales Lec. The rules didn't change here.

Kind regards

12. peter palmer

Its a special location as far as building regs go but not the expensive yellow book.

13. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

Yeah, that does make sense. I'm not stiring anything up there, im just looking to install an a extraction fan
    and it made me wonder if a "Shower" alone makes an area a special location, I would've thought so but
    to be honest, I do see what your saying.

I am glad to hear varying answers, sometimes its hard to see past the Black and White. ;)

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Black and white is often the problem,BS7671 is not enforceable by law,however it can be used in law to prove good practice.There is nothing to say you have to do a certain job in the way "the book" advises,however if you departed from the regs and anything did go wrong then you'd have to be able to justify your actions in court.However this shouldn't prevent common sense being applied,unfortunately some people will not apply common sense,they have the attitude that "the book says" so it has to be done this way.

Quiche81 likes this.