Speedfit plastic pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Linda, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Linda

Linda New Member

Can I mix Speedfit plastic pipes with Brass compression fittings

2. loz

loz New Member

Yes you can, but you need to place speedfit inserts in the ends of the plastic pipe before inserting the pipe into the compression fitting. I've done it and it was very easy and so far (6 months on) I've had no problems.

Loz

3. loz

loz New Member

Yes you can, but you need to place speedfit inserts in the ends of the plastic pipe before inserting the pipe into the compression fitting. I've done it and it was very easy and so far (6 months on) I've had no problems.

Loz

4. ChrisWakey

ChrisWakey New Member

Yes you can use speedfit plastic into brass compression but you must use STANDARD sppedfit inserts not the supaseal ones you get from screwfix with the rubber washer built into them. Otherwise you can run into problems.

Checked this with JG SPEEDFIT a good while ago.

5. loz

loz New Member

errr, any idea what sort of problems could occur if you happened to use the superseal ones within compression fittings? Just interested..... well actually really really interested. Haven't had any problems yet - just wondering whether it's worth changing them all.

Loz

6. phil

phil New Member

I got told to use the superseal inserts instead of the standard ones by the expert at B&Q!
    Have you had any problems Loz?

7. capnpugwash

capnpugwash New Member

Expert + B&Q?? Arnen't these terms mutually exclusive? I'm surprised you got the superseal insert into the compression fitting, I've always found they were too large. If its not leaking now I don't see any reason it should in the future. I've always though that the compression insert was to prevent the pipe from crushing so either insert would work. Why dont SF sell the compression inserts??

8. diysaster

diysaster New Member

I've used superseal inserts with compression fittings. Fitted just fine, no leaks, no problems.

9. marc

marc New Member

if you mix copper and plastic you need to check earth bonding.in answer to the question use the inserts and you will be fine.
    points to note b and q and expert is an oximoron.
    and using speed fit is very girly

10. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Spot on Marc