Spilt in the Felt within the loft

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by chris chambers, Apr 23, 2015.

1. chris chambers

chris chambers New Member

I have just purchase a house, and I just discovered that a section of the felt membrane has has spit. I have checked for water damage and I can't see any, I think this was done when the last owners moved out.

The house was build around the 1960, and I think the roof has never been look after, as a result I can see the bottom of the roof tiles.

as a temporary fix, I have been thinking about purchasing some breathable roof membrane, and slip this over the existing felt, and then get some Membrane tape, and tape this in, until I have the funds to get the roof looked which at some point I would have the roof off.

would this be ok

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The felt is only there as secondary protection, if the tiles are sound no water would be on the felt, so it could have been like that for years and no water damage would be evident. If you are doing a patch job, it might be just as easy to use some torch on felt?

3. chris chambers

Would it be safe to use a torch, within a loft space, as I also have seen "I can't reminder the name" some tape that has a very stick side that you can roll onto the felt.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In my opinion NO, all too easy to have mishap in a confined space, also you have the fumes, plus carbon monoxide to worry about.

If it's only a tear, flashing tape like 'Flashband self adhesive felt roll' or similar might repair it, comes in a 10mtr roll & various widths.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  5. chris chambers

thanks. I will go and get some, and give myself a little project this weekend

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Black Jack flash band is a favourite with me,extremely sticky, but in warm weather it becomes very tacky.

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Oh OK you're doing it from the inside, I'm slightly confused as to how you would manage to successfully tape the membrane on from the inside, but never mind

I've never done it, but I am surprised you can fix flashing on very well either, you would need to force the felt up onto the underside of the tiles to get it to adhere properly?

If you guys would just build your houses properly and use sarking you would not have these problems :)