Split Door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deland01, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Deland01

Deland01 Member

I was drilling a hole for the catch in an Oak vaneer'd internal door and its produced a split running vertically. The catch is now in but you can see a crack above & below the catch.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to fill the gap? Thurs about 3mm wide.

Thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is the crack made by the tight-fitting barrel?

If so, squirt pva into the cracks, remove the barrel, lump of wood each side and clamp it.
    While clamped, drill the hole better, make sure the barrel fits nicely(you should never need to bang it in), pilot and screw the barrel in. Leave to set.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

GoodwithWood and Working On It like this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You are going to be really lucky if you can hide the crack.

As Mr H says above you are going to need to glue it - but with White wood glue that goes clear when set.

The problem you will have is to get a clamp wide enough to draw the crack together. Unless you have very big and strong clamps you will have to make a frame and use wedges to persuade the crack to close

4. Deland01

Deland01 Member

I think this will work great, ive used smart latches and the instructions say to drill a 25mm hole for the barrel. In reality the hole needs to be 2625km as the hole is way too tight. The split came from the drill bit going in too fast. I used an Armeg beaver drill bit. I did a pilot hole in the other doors but didn't pilot this one & it split. The pull on the bit going in is incredible.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May be a bit of play in there! :D

The Armeg drill bits are similar to Irwin and all the other turbo bits in that they do pull through too quick and if will kick on their way through.

So it is on the edge of the door - not the face?

6. Deland01

Deland01 Member

Sorry, yeh it's on the edge I should have said.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not so visible and easier to clamp. Slightly different problem it to stop the crack growing as the door is used. It may be best to take the lock out, open the hole out to expose the crack using some screwdrivers as levers, insert some glue in the crack and clamp tight

8. Deland01

Deland01 Member

I probably should have uploaded this image on the first post but here is the actual issue.

Attached Files:

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As sospan says, remove lock, open up, I would prefer small plastic or timber wedges. Roughen the inside of the split with sandpaper and don't worry if the split elongates a little. Use a PVA glue to fill the gap, then with battens on either side to avoid marking clamp tightly, clean off excess and leave clamped for several hours. After 24 hours try the catch barrel - does it slide in easily or is it tight? If it is tight you will need to enlarge the holes - either a router or rasp until it is a nice sliding fit.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Ouch, see you mean, nice lock set and door.

Whatever you do - don't put wedges in like Pollowick suggests, All you need is a two screwdrivers in the lock hole and use them to widen the whole momentarily with one hand while you put the glue in. White clear wood glue should be strong enough and any other glue may leave a residue or affect the veneer.

One of the joys of working with wood one slip and its ruined

11. Mr. Handyandy

Look, squirt the glue in now, before removing the catch. Then remove the catch immediately, clamp it, drill it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Mr. Handyandy

Oh, and you should have rebated for the catch-plate before making the hole(no centre pilot now) but you can always chisel it instead of using a circular bit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What drill bit was used to drill hole?

Maybe best to clamp the section next time when drilling the hole?

14. Working On It

Working On It Member

As Handy says... this is quite an easy fix to be honest and them easy fix latch's I do not like. Leave the latch in or take it out and wood glue it, clamp it up and leave it to dry.

It will help when you put the handles back if you use bolt throughs keep it all nice and tight...