Splitting Leyland Cypress into Logs

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by NT555, Apr 6, 2017.

1. NT555

NT555 Member

Hi All,

Management finally got her way and got me to cut down a 15m Leyland Cypress.
    Anyway, I survived and and all limbs and digits and out buildings are still intact.

In my domestic situation, cutting it down is the relatively easy bit. Dealing with the spoils take a lot more effort. Anyway all the branches have now been chipped using a SF Titan £130 shredder, one of these bad boys: http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb683shr-2500w-200kg-hr-silent-garden-shredder-230v/6887p

I'm going to write a review because the Titan is absolutely the dogs breakfast. (I've been struggling with a 20 year old Black and Decker spinning disc/blade job and its always been a pain in the butt)

Anyway here's the question:
    Is it easier to split into logs green or let them dry out over the summer and attack them in the autumn?

Key word: Easier :)

(BTW: I plan to cut the trunk into 25cm chunks prior to splitting)

Many thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Nev

Astramax likes this.
  2. proby

proby Active Member

Do it wile green much easier splits like carrots.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Management should be applauded.[​IMG]

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had to do the same two years ago but without management dictatorship, would recommend using a 'Log Splitting Grenade Wedge' amazing piece of kit at around £10 makes easy work of it.

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Easier to both cut and split when wet. Suggest leaving them 2years before burning as Leylandii are full of resin and not the best of fuels.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Splitting them aids drying!!!! Be long time drying otherwise,

Astramax likes this.
  7. ramseyman

Exactly, still leave two years after splitting for best results.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

They will spit when you burn them so use a fire guard or keep the doors closed on a wood burner.

9. proby

proby Active Member

It's not the best fire wood but if it's free and dried out well it does give a decent bit of heat

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Of the woods available to me at the time, seasoned sweet chestnut used to give out the most heat but it would spit like an angry llama.

11. ramseyman

Yes, sweet chestnut one of the worst for spitting. I find ash, oak, beech give the best heat in that order if you can get hold of them.

12. NT555

NT555 Member

Many thanks chaps for the consensus.
    I bought a splitting grenade at Aldi a year or so ago and have never used it - but will now.

Talking of wood for burning. I've a laburnum that's been sliced into chunks a few years ago.
    I remember someone saying that it burns very poorly and needs other wood to push it along.

Does that sound right to you?

13. proby

proby Active Member

Probably right never had any to try, puts me off a bit every part of laburnum is poisonous. Have a look on line for best wood for burning you will find lists telling you the qualities of the wood for burning. To be honest I just go with what's free.

14. ramseyman

Never had any problem burning laburnum. However it has the most beautiful grain for woodturning (need to watch the shavings and particularly dust as toxic) so seems a shame to burn it if there is a woodturner who would love to get their hands on it..

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  15. NT555

NT555 Member

Hello Folks it's time to fess up...

I spent half an hour beating the f...ing wood grenade into the laylandii chunks with a sledge hammer and not achieving a great deal of spitting for the degree of effort - but achieved a great deal of knackering on my part.. Call me a woos but my life is going to be too short....

...So I hired a small splitter for £20.00 and did the job in a few hours.

I'll get my coat...

Many thanks again for all advise and comments.

KIAB and Rulland like this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always sensible to leverage your time. Now go and hang your head in shame you big wuss!! :D

KIAB and Rulland like this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

woos...I had no problems with the Roughneck Grenade Splitter.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Which way up do you use it Astra?

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  19. proby

proby Active Member

Get a splitting maul;)

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sideways! and several whacks with a pin hammer.:cool:

KIAB and CGN like this.