Spray foam insulation

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by luketheduke, Jan 16, 2016.

1. luketheduke

luketheduke New Member

Typically I will always use celotex in every in job where insulation is required but when it comes to complex roofs with lots of different angles it can be time consuming to get a perfect fit. So I'm always looking at ways to do a better job when I can across icynene on a trade show.

I keep hearing mixed things about the product and I won't use it till I'm confident. However every single construction programme I see where the building takes place in America and Canada they always use spray foam insulation and they don't seem to be having problems with rot (which seems to be the main issue) and yet they don't use hardly any pressure treated timber and 90% of homes are timber frames over there and this is using closed cell insulation as apposed to open cell.

So this is really a question for people who actually have experience with the product. Rather than going of what's said on the net. Either good or bad.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The Americans and Canadians use a lot of pressure treated timber. The also have a lot of issues with insects especially termites and carpenter ants and they still have rot issues like everyone else.

Having had spray foam in several places (its not cheap) the only way it will stop rot is by stopping things like cold bridging and the corresponding condensation.

It is good stuff very messy to apply - the contractors I have used will only use their scaffold after receiving so many complaints from hire firms!. Most won't come out for less than £800 and that is down here in Wales wouldn't like to think what that is in the SE.

It is a great product but so expensive at the moment it would be interesting to see a proper comparison between the two methods in terms of cost and effort

3. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

Hi luke. how did you get on with the icynenne? I'm considering it to insulate my study walls along with a vapour barrier...

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I would urge caution with this product as it contains Isocyanates. The contactors applying the stuff use forced air breathing equipment as it is so toxic. As it is mainly used in the roof space this is not a consumer issue as the roof is well ventilated, but using in the house you would have to leave the room free for a time, 3 weeks maybe to allow the isocyanate gasses to escape from the bubbles in the foam. On the positive side, if you have no underfelt or loose tiles, this stuff sticks them and seals against snow blowing in. Google ISOCYANATES to see the issues.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The OP was a year ago .....