Spraying louvre doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hey!

Just wondering what people would consider a reasonable price for spraying 6 louvre doors to a high-gloss on both sides - they are currently bare pine (brand new). Four are 0.75 sqm, two are 0.2sqm.

Only one company has come back to me so I'm wondering what the feeling is out there.

Ta

Whitling2k

2. Labour intensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's costly.

What level of gloss finish are you after? If it's anything approaching 'mirror', then they'll be expecting to be doing a LOT of sanding and finishing. Again costly.

Where are they going? You really want 'gloss'?

3. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

OK Thanks - you have probably answered my question there - I'm not surprised at the cost, but had no comparison. And it saves me an awful job!

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Polite for being a pain in the a*** Louvre doors / shutters are one of the worst things to paint either by hand or spray. If you aren't careful you get runs and if you are too careful you miss bits which on high gloss will be very noticeable.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

How much was your quote for?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Fancy the job ????

I have been painting flat radiator screens on and off for the last few weeks and they have been driving me mad and at one point would have paid someone to take the job off my hand

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Nope. Just want to know how much the quote was.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Must be upwards of £600 and more advances ?

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Really? my guesstimate was £50 per door

10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Two days work - outside in good weather. Spray them all together, reckon it may be worth taking them to a proper paint spray shop.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At least three coats of paint - rub down (possibly fill?), primer, rub down, gloss, rub down, gloss probably more if the guy is using thin covering to avoid over spraying and trying to get a high gloss finish.

All hand sanding of the slats the doors are probably 750 mm x 300 mm probably got between 30 and 40 slats each got to be sanded both sides, probably and hour to sand and clear up each door especially the first two passes. Looking at 2 days in total of pretty boring sanding between coats. Spraying won't take that long but its the keeping them hanging around in a whilst the paint cures.

When I have had kitchen cabinet doors sprayed at a local car place. I do most of the prep and the guy sprays them at the end of the day and leaves them overnight. For them it is a nice easy job - its all flat, no filling, no blending or matching colours

12. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

£50 per door is pretty close - they don't need any initial sand or fill, just a de-nib after priming - then gloss, rub down, gloss. The doors are:
    2x 137cm tall by 53.5 wide
    2x 45.5cm tall by 45.5cm wide
    2x 168cm tall by 45.5cm wide

The little one will be quite a quick job to sand, the other two a bit more effort.

I have spray primed 3/6 and rubbed down 1, very little effort, not many fibres lifted compared to other softwoods I have worked with.. However, realising how big a job it was going to be, with the rest of the renovation still to do, I decided hobbying over a few doors wasn't a good way to spend my time, so approached a few spray shops up here in and around York.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Traditionally the best slats are made out of Tulip wood (a yellow poplar) which is quite smooth but needs a good prime. However, seen a lot of poor quality ones which are ok if you varnish but painting makes them rough as anything.

A lot of spray shops are happy with spraying or powder coating metal but few like going near wood. One of my wifes friends had a pine farmhouse kitchen table stripped and wanted it sprayed red and lacquered not one shop down here would touch it - she ended up doing it with aerosol cans