Sprit levels

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by KIAB, May 1, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been an expensive week for tools, already had to buy a new pointing trowel,as old favourite one has disappeared from it's usual home, also a new stainless finishing steel trowel, rivets popped out on old one & scored the plaster I was polishing, teach me for not using my plaziflex, but I have misplaced the new blades since having a spring clean in work shop.
    Then to cap it all, I now need a new spirit level,went to use my old stabila this morning & the centre bubble has gone awol.:(
    So, found another level,no idea of the make, & two of the three bubbles have lost their green colour & gone clear,making then hard to see.

Other than Stabila any other levels worth looking at, had a quick look at Stanley, Dewalt boxbeam levels this morning.

And I can't spell Spirit.:rolleyes::oops:

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Stabila every time.

Unless I'm whacking it with a hammer knocking something flat like block paving edges, than any old **** will do. :p:p:p

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Screwfix euro box level 1200MM £15. Think that's what I'll get. Big uns are more useful. I bent 20 year old one some how so in the market myself. Might go longer? Fatmax are said to be good though.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My old Stabila must have been at least 20 years old, so it's had a good life.
    Had a look at at a few levels this morning, I do like the Stabila R-Type,rather impress with it,nice handling, but the price[​IMG], should see me out.:)

http://www.stabila.com/products/levels/type-300

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Bought a Fatmax (grey not yellow) last year and do not regret it one bit, best I've ever had.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have 4 spirit levels here :oops: made by Stabila.

Have a 10" one which I keep in the tool box, then 600mm, 1200mm (this one was purchased when at college on bricklaying course. And was what everyone seemed to buy at the time) and a big 2m one. Wish I had gone for a 1800mm one as this one is bigger than me.

7. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I have the 6ft dewalt and the 4ft fat max both of which seem really good levels although the dewalt are fairly heavy

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a 2mtr here, seldom used,when doing door frames, prefer my 1.8mtr Stabila.

What I like with the Stabila R-Type is it's broad flat base, very stable.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This seems like a good site.

The 1200 is similar to the 'masons' one, without the plastic protector on top.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes found it was easy for the door frames, also if marking out for chasings.

KIAB likes this.
  11. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I went looking at stabila 1200mm a couple of months ago, tested about a dozen of them and they were all off. Every last one.
    Settled on a fat max.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very surprised.

13. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I was too. Have always rated them.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'll check all mine tommorw.

15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Have had many, many levels over the years. The best one for lasting in my experience is Fat Max. Who would have thought eh?

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

FatMax and Stabila here.

No complaints.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a1.8m r type - don't like it at all. I find the profile awkward when marking on a wall or using as a straightedge

Funny enough had an expensive couple of weeks caught a router bit on a pocket hole screw, ruined a Freud blade on a mitre, knocked my Festool plunge saw off the work bench and cracked the case, cracked my routers dust extractor adaptor.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some of the best levels I gave are the silver Magnusson ones that B&Q sold years ago. I have a 300 and 600mm really solid and chunky wish I had bought more when the were available.

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Expensive week! With this extension it's painful watching money disappear so fast.

Since last Wednesday I've paid for two skips, two grab lorries, a digger and driver, two loads of readymix, and bits of timber and sheet material for hoarding.

I've already blown the budget for groundworks.:eek:

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I have more tiime next week I will have closer look at the R type & FatMax & also try them with a pencil.