Spur Into The Loft

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by safc2005, Dec 27, 2016.

1. safc2005

safc2005 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm half way through boarding my loft, (lights added with the help from this forum) - now I would like to add a double socket up there for my small home server, I have the below in mind - any advice would be appreciated:

1. Spur directly from the socket in the bedroom below using 2.5mm T&E, this socket is hidden so trunking the new spur cable to the ceiling.
    2. The run will be 3meters to 13A Switched Fuse (as I might want to add more sockets later)
    3. The run to the double socket from the switched fuse will be around 6 meters

Again any advice or guidance would be ideal, and sorry if this detail in another thread somewhere.

Cheers,
    Stephen

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Sounds OK, providing
    1. The bedroom socket is on a ring final circuit
    2. You could just use a FCU (Fused Connection Unit) unless you want the switch for control (ie to switch off the sockets)
    3. You can use 2.5 T&E from the FCU to the sockets as you have it, but 1.5mm would do.

3. safc2005

safc2005 New Member

Thanks Comlec for you response and information, I can confirm this is a ring circuit.

Really appreciate the confirmation.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

My preference would be to run 2 x 2.5mm and extend the ring. Forget the FCU and fit a socket there as well. If you want to add extra sockets at a later date you already have the ring available and don't risk having to retro fit an upgrade.

Kind regards

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY here so may not be the right way to do this but ......

As in loft and socket for a home server can this not be run from lighting circuit (easily accessible in loft would imagine) and terminate with a 3 pin round socket and plug (to avoid other items being plugged in)

Would imagine server has low power consumption so it's like feeding a shaver socket or fan from lighting circuit

Happy to be bollocked by a pro if this is the wrong approach :)

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

For a single low current device in the loft (eg signal amplifier) - correctly installed can't really object to the use of a lighting circuit. However, the OP suggested future adaptations, so best use the ring final.

tore81 likes this.
  7. safc2005

safc2005 New Member

Thanks again guys!

At the moment I feel comfortable adding a fused spur as I mentioned in my post and @Comlec confirmed. However, @Bazza-spark could you explain a little further on how I would extend the ring from the bedroom socket?

Cheers
    Stephen

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

For what you want, at the moment a spur would be fine, but, as Mr Bazza suggests, if you extend the ring into the loft it gives you scope for further expansion.
    Basically at your bedroom socket you should have two cables on the ring final circuit, hopefully, if it is, then extend those two cables to the new socket in the loft.
    So, one cable coming into that socket will then be just extended to the loft, from that socket in the loft you have a return cable that comes back into the bedroom socket along with the other one that was there originally.

9. LOTA

LOTA New Member

The theory is right but too many factors would make doing it this way wrong. for example how can you guarantee a hoover wont ever be plugged in to this socket?

Edit: never read the round plug solution. bit of a round the houses way to do it though. Also if a lamp blows on the lighting circuit and an rcd trips you lose power to the socket.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I'm trying to remember how many times I have dragged my vacuum cleaner up the loft ladder to give the insulation a good dusting...

Joe95 likes this.
  11. LOTA

LOTA New Member

so you agree as an electrician that coming off a lighting circuit for a socket is the way you would do it? I'm just giving an example as to why I wouldn't. could be a heater if you prefer or anything that pulls more than the lighting circuit MCB can take.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The better way would be to run the circuit from an existing ring final.
    If not practical, then I have (yes i have) supplied a standard 13A socket off the lighting circuit for TV boosters, etc. The socket being suitably labelled.

If some muppet pops up there and plugs in a fan heater or a MIG welder (or a vacuum cleaner) then they will not get very far, there's a 6amp fuse on the lighting circuit preventing an overload!

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

This is what the OP is planning to do (Spurring from the ring)

(CPC omitted for clarity but must be used)

upload_2016-12-27_17-19-31.png

Or the OP could be extending the ring

upload_2016-12-27_17-30-18.png

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Agreed Comlec. But as yhe OP has hinted he may want to add more later, expanding the ring now could save a lot of remedial work later. Dropping to 1.5mm given the option of further extension would be nuts IMO although an acceptable solution to his immediate problem. Given we are talking about something like an extra 9m cable now plus a bit of slack would be my choice.

Kind regards

15. safc2005

safc2005 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the fused spur solution now, and as the main spur cable from the socket will be contained in trucking for now, if need to add more sockets I can look to extend the ring.

Once again I totally appreciate all of your advice and comments. I'm carrying out the work tomorrow I'll post a small update when complete.

Cheers,
    Stephen

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If the ring ctt. isn't already fitted with a RCD you may have to fit one.

17. AndyG

AndyG New Member

Extending the ring for 1 socket is a bit over the top, his plan to run a 2.5 to a spur is the best plan and he can add other sockets later from the supply side of the spur whether it is a radial or a ribg

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No, if it's a ring you mean he can add sockets to the output side of the spur later, not the supply side!

19. He cannot run any sockets off the supply side of the spur,only the load side
    What is an ribg?

20. Beat me to it Seneca

seneca likes this.