Spurs off ring main

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fabro, Nov 27, 2015.

1. fabro

fabro Member

I have a dedicated ring main for my converted garage (still in progress), which will have about 4-5 sockets. Can I have a fused spur for the lighting off that ring main? Also, had a lean to garage built on the drive, can I have another spur feeding a garage consumer unit off that same ring main? Garage c.u. would feed one light, 2-3 sockets and motorised garage door.
    With some minor disruption, I can still reach the main c.u. for dedicated lighting and garage c.u., just wondered if I have to. Thanks.

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

I'm not a spark but I would say of coming off your main CU on a separate MCB for each ring main or Sub CU would be better than taking Spurs off any ring main if at all possible

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

If it's only minor disruption always go back to the board.

Wouldn't have the lights off the ring. They should be off a separate mcb. Because if one trips you have nothing. Plus you may want to add on in future.

Only my input.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

3A fused spur for the lighting in main garage.

In the lean-to, if all you're going to use is a charger or similar:

I'd just use a 13A fused spur from the main garage ring for the lean-to (putting the switched fused spur in the lean-to for isolation), and spur off from that with a 3A fuse for the lighting.

FatHands and Rulland like this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Why waste time, effort and materials when all one requires is basic lighting and a socket to two, quite within 7671, all complies.
    In an ideal world etc etc....

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

So nobody is concerned about distance to garage for cable size, cable type and run, supply characteristics (pme or other).

Load of carp.

OP the advice you have here is invalid without more detail.

Kind regards

Aztec likes this.
  7. fabro

fabro Member

It's a fair point if tripping, loosing light and sockets at same time. I think the distance from the new lean to garage to the CU is about 10-12m. I was thinking a 2.5mm2 into a sub CU to be future proof (garage light, 2-3 sockets for power tools, although one at a time!!, motorised garage door, outside PIR light...) but if I can do it from fused spurs, it'd save me some hassle but prefer to play it safe.

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Yes, do your research. But more than likely, the advice is applicable.

Do many garages or lean-tos have main services which require main equipotential bonding? The RFC is already there, after all. Presumably that is adequate to the Regs.

OP: Ask a couple of local electricians for their advice. Etc, etc...

9. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

I have a 6mm swa feed to a Sub CU in my garage and can still trip the main MCB when plugging in my 110v cte transformer

I have 6xdouble sockets and 4x 6ft double Fluro lamps and 2x outside sockets off my garage feed

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If you can, replace the mcb with one with a D curve. It should stand the inrush.

Kind regards.

11. fabro

fabro Member

Got round to doing the garage conversion. I extended the ring main into the new lean to garage through the wall and will spur off for the garage lighting. I have a new separate cable reaching the c.u for the lighting in the converted garage and using surewire 4way (from toolstations) so getting all the connections in one place.

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I want to see a separate lighting for isolation, also whats a ring main? :)

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It might be prudent to confirm that disconnection times will still be met, however!