squaring beams - raised decking

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by keratos, May 24, 2014.

1. keratos

keratos New Member

I've used an online decking planner and it has printed off the plans which include two beams consisting of 6off 2x2 posts with 4off 2x8 lengths of tanalised wood; this makes 2 beams whereby 3 posts and 2 lengths of 2x8 are used in each beam.

I can install the first beam but how do I ensure the 2nd is square?

I've googled and watched videos, read and scoured, all I can find is references to the 3,4,5 rule and diagrams showing this. I could do with a video. Never done this before so need layman 101 steps.

Any ideas?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You make a square temporarily with wood or wood and string.
    Then make all measurements equal(corner to corner match, and side to side match).

Or without a square, set one beam, set the other not fixed but correct distance and straight.
    Then measure corner to corner(outside corners) diagonally, then the other corner to corner diagonally. Move until both diagonals are exact(and distance still where it should be).

Are you following?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

As handy says , measuring diagonally is probably the easiest way , 3.4.5 method is simple enough though , with your first corner , measure 3 foot on one piece and mark , on the other mark 4 foot and then measure diagonally between these two marks and you should have 5 ft.

keratos likes this.
  4. keratos

keratos New Member

Thanks chassis. But the OP did mention the help needed !!?

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

, this video shows 3,4,5 method pretty well, use a string line to mark out the area initially and build your frame within it.

keratos likes this.
  6. keratos

keratos New Member

Excellent. Much obliged