Stack Dado

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Adbuild, Jan 17, 2005.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He doesn't seem to have a morticer or tenoner.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its a pointless conversation with regards to this fool.

I don't think aside from embedding videos off Youtube he has any point of reference. Certainly there seems to be little evidence of any practical experience.

I just think its good policy bearing in mind this is a public forum to point out when the advice or suggested methods are entirely wrong and dangerous.

Nothing wrong with full length rip fences, I use one all the time when ripping but when used in conjunction with a sliding table crosscut fence it must be set back behind the blade.

Using unguarded blades is poor practice full stop.

Stacked dados are not used professionally in this country, you might find the odd exception but they will be few and far between.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have been in and around machines all my working life and have seen plenty of people have "accidents". From minor through to life changing. From little nicks to multiple fingers gone. All without fail were entirely preventable. "Accidents" happen through user error, or through safety measure bypasses such as the kind of guard removal Ryluer seem to think is fine.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yes wheel out the victims now.
    That's the usual tactics deployed by h&s zealots these days.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am just telling you from personal experience what having no respect for machines and machine safety can do to people.

Stacked dados are fearsome pieces of kit, removing guards is idiotic and not learning how to use machines safely is foolish

Combine all three and you are an accident waiting to happen.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Felders grooving cutter sets (dado) are timid compared to the wobble saw blade I have in my spindle machine. Makes grooves in solid stock very fast though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

But a wobble saw in a spindle is guarded you fool. I have one in my spindle.

Again never heard it called a "spindle machine"

Spindle moulder yes spindle machine no

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Or shaper machine. [​IMG]

The dado cutter is always guarded when the material passes over it.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You cannot guard using the material being machined!

What happens if you get a kickback or it snatches! It disappears and you are left with nothing between you and the cutter/blade.

What happens before or after the material is machined, exactly the same.

You are 100% a poorly informed amateur who thinks they know better than professionals.

I couldn't give a monkeys if you end up like the angry Peperami man with no arms or legs left.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Push pads! Not that I ever use them.
    Any rode you'd be a right silly billy to keep you hand inline with the cutter.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You would be sacked by PopMaster if you ever started working in a proper workshop. Fool. and troll.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not much use if you're not a *

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Looks like a nice bit of kit for the discerning home hobbyist. I will stick with the industrial kit thanks.

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Or weekend warrior like me LoL.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You V Kris Reynolds goldy.
    I reckon he'd beat you hands down. What do you think? By the time you extracted your head from your butt he'd probably have half a dozen face frames made up.[​IMG]

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Kris Reynolds?? Never heard of her.

But then again I don't have the time to be pretending to be a tradesman while watching Youtube 24/7 like you obviously do.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Festool have just launched the HK 85 carpenters saw which has an impressive 85mm depth of cut powered by a huge 2.3kw motor.
    But this is no ordinary saw as you can see from the image...
    [​IMG]
    A grooving cutter can be fitted that cuts grooves from 15-25mm thus making dado capability possible in this configuration.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    KIAB likes this.
  19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The HK85 also requires the Festool conversion kit , to be used in a grooving configuration. Whilst in "grooving" mode, the blade is fully guarded. My Fessy TS55 can create grooves in timber (without expensive, conversion kits either).

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The kit is supplied with the groove unit. £330 inc VAT.
    Yes it would be a pain having to change over all the time. But its still a neat option considering what it can do.