Stain from caulk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Shandy1, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

Hi. The wife and I recently moved into our first home.
    I stripped the wallpaper in the bedroom and living room and hung 1400 grade lining paper. I left a 1mm gap between some and filled it with decorating caulk where needed, then sanded it off. (Should've butt joined it all).
    I then painted with dulux Matt emulsion, 2 coats.

Where I filled with caulk and sanded, there is a shimmer kind of stain that runs down the joint and it won't go away. I maybe should've put a primer coat on first but I was told 2 coats of emulsion would be sufficient.
    I'm not sure why its stained as I thought it was meant to be paintable.
    How can I fix this issue? Would a stain cover paint like zinsser cover it? Would I have to cover the whole wall so it's not uneven?
    I really don't want to tear it down and start again, or cover it with another wallpaper as we have a feature wall already wallpapered.
    Hope someone can help!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I prefer to use a joint filler like Gyproc Easi Fill for filling joint gap in linning paper.
    Would think Zinsser BIN will be better than Bullseye 123, our painter Astra is the expert here.:)

3. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll maybe try that then. I certainly won't be using the cheap caulk again any way. Would I need to cover the whole wall so it's even or will I get away with just painting over the streaks?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would think just the streaks,but I'm not a decorator, Astra is the expert here.:)

5. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

Ok thanks, I'll wait and see if he replies

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You may also find that it's not just a stain from the caulk but if the caulk has been smeared across the 1mm gap, and not sufficiently wiped off, it actually changes the texture of the light ing paper and this can show through the paint

If you look closely at the paper, it has a slight texture
    Where the joints have been filled, look at the paper either side. It may be a lot smoother ?

When you either sand the filler or wipe down the caulk, it can leave a narrow band that has a different texture to the rest of the paper

This can show through the paint a bit like a shadow. You don't usually sand down caulk, more a wipe over with a damp cloth

Have you maybe damaged the paper whilst sanding

7. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

I think that's exactly what I've done. Will any paint, maybe zinsser cover the damaged lining paper?

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's a tough one to remedy and depends on how damaged the paper is, post a couple of pictures would be helpful

Must have been troublesome to sand down the caulk ? Cheap caulk or not, it don't like being sanded as has a rubbery texture when set

Only thing I can suggest is rollering the complete walls again but using a heavy pile roller, this will give more texture to the finished paint and 'may' help to disguise the seams but, I think a test patch on 1 section first would be wise

Anyway, post some pics, may help

9. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

It was a month or so ago now I put it up as I've been on holiday in between painting the walls.
    Basically where there was a gap, I filled with the caulk, then smoothed the excess with a scraper. I think then once I had finished the room I went over it with the sanding paper. if I remember right, you could still see a shimmer before I painted so that's where I must've gone wrong.

I'm at work now but can post a pic later unless I have one on my phone i can post now.

I've gave one of the seams a good 4 or 5 coats and it still shows. The colour is cookie crisp dulux Matt

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would strip off and re-do, caulk has it's uses but not for filling wallpaper seams, as KIAB has said Gyproc Easi Fill is the way to go lightly sanded to get the flatness back then a light coat over the filler with Zinsser Bullseye 123 ready for the emulsion finish.

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Didn't know you could rub down caulk!!! I would strip it and replace . Learning curve!!!

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

.....or put another layer of lining paper over the top, over-lapping the seams.

13. Shandy1

Shandy1 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. The wife has found a nice wallpaper that will cover the lining paper in the living room, and I think I'll start from scratch in the bedroom as it's smaller and won't take as long......

14. JoCar

JoCar New Member

Hi. Seems like i have the same problem/question...these responses have been useful.
    Looks like I was just too messy with the caulk, the pale coloured contract matt paint just highlights where it's over the joints on on the edges of my WallRock.

Anyway... looks like I need to paper over.
    Unless theres a type of paint CAN cover this kind of imperfection?
    Assuming not or previous post would have mentioned it.

So Q2 - I can just paste paper up over the painted liner...without needing to strip back?

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What paper have you used ?

Wallrock Thermal Liner perhaps ?

As you may know, the instructions recomend papering over the Thermal Liner with Wallrock Fibre Liner (no surprise that they recomend their own product here) :)

I’ve used the Thermal Liner a couple of times and have papered over using 1400 grade ‘regular’ lining paper, with no problems

As above, fill any gaps with powdered filler and lightly sand, not caulk

JoCar likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, but sand over the paint first to improve adhesion, also applying a size coat prior to hanging paper would also help. If I remember correctly Wallrock use the 'paste the wall' paste as the filler! :confused:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    JoCar likes this.
  17. JoCar

JoCar New Member

Thanks for your quick reply... it was called "Erfurt WallRock Fibreliner" ...not thermal, just to smooth out a load of bad plaster repairs before painting.

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Oh right the Wallrock Fibreliner uv used

Dunno in that case, never used it myself but seen excellent reviews of the product

Is the caulk showing through the paint as lumpy and a differant texture or just simply a colour band

If the later, paint the wall with 1 or 2 coats of Zinnser Cover Stain and this will give a solid white surface to emuslion over

Yep the cover stain is solvent based and stinks so ventilate the room and plan on not using it that day

19. JoCar

JoCar New Member

whilst you can see it's a different texture when u look close, and obviously has different absorbancies to the Fibre Liner, it's more that it's showing through as a darker colour.... i might have a look at that Coverstain...certainly easier than re-papering the whole lot.

cheers again

20. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You can’t sand caulk!