Staining MDF

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ed Ugarte, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

Hi guys
    What is the best way to seal MDF edges in preparation for staining. The MDF is oak faced but the Client wants the edges rounded over with a router then stained in with the top and then varnished/polished.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cellulose or shellac sanding sealer either would do as they both dry clear.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use Rustins quick drying MDF clear sealer or similar, you can then paint or stain mdf.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would suggest actually using oak - but I bet the MDF has already been bought ?

It is is going to be a pain to get the colour to match. I spent a lot of time and effort a few months back getting white pine to look like light oak.

Would the customer accept a chamfered / beveled edge and you could put a banding on that way

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best solution would be an oak bead on the edge and then round that edge off.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your clever, you can steam bend iron on edging roll.

But, as Astra said, glue oak strip to mdf, then rout rounded edge, a lot easier,or get some half round oak beading & glue that on.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He's not clever otherwise he wouldn't be asking!:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

True!:)

Astramax likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If he was clever, he would have router table, & saw bench & make his own beading,sadly not done much today.

10. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

The edge of the MDF has been built up to 55mm thick and I've never seen iron on edging that thick and furthermore she wanted it stained as apposed to lipped.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

None in stock.
    Go easy on the OP!
    I see the finish requested quite a lot. Usually on the panelling around pub urinals ;-) Looks fine for what it is and seems hardwearing.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Made three 2.4m fluted planks this week, 75 mm wide with 5 flutes things haven't been that clenched since my last prostate exam :oops: