Stair Stringers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rystar00, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Hi guys,

I've boarded our and plastered my basement and am looking to try and make it like a 'proper room' rather than a basement. I think sorting the stairs out would be a good 'step' (pardon the pun!)

What is the easiest and most cost-effective way to make stair stringers for these please? Is it something I could do myself (I'm fairly handy but carpentry isn't my best thing!) or could I get these made online by a company? What material would be best to use? Timber or MDF? I'd like to run in some skirting to them so that they look seamless.

Thanks

Ryan

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm at a loss as to what you plan to do, can you do a drawing or post a photo that looks like the result you want?

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

and what pray tell are you going to do with the brick steps?

4. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Sorry gents.

Here is a pic (drawn side on) showing the stairs, the skirting and how I would like it to join the stringers.

I've also attached a pic of my old dear's stairs as an example.

The stairs will be carpeted.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The stringer is a part of the stairs when they are made not an add on. It is possible to attach these afterwards but I doubt you could.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are you saying you just want to put a stringer on to the existing stairs. ???

7. I think he is planning attaching false strings.

8. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Yes that's right.

They are crappy old basement stairs. We've converted the basement into a usable space and I'd like to finish it off nicely - joining the skirts at the top and bottom.

Is it worth marking the dimensions and asking a joiner to cut them? Or is it a case of marking these out on a piece of timber and getting to work with my skillsaw?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Mark out the going and rise on a suitable piece of timber using 2 clamps and a roofing square, cut it out with a jig saw, test fit, throw it away because it doesn't fit, go to the pub. :):)

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Without dimensions, I dont think the stairs in the basement meet building res.

The max height of riser is 220mm, seems a littler higher to me?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a bit immaterial Jit, they must have been signed off years ago.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Part may be original, but they seem to be modified, as they seem to have newer timber treads?

Just saying as the word 'proper room' was mentioned.

I am planning a loft conversion, and these are things to consider, as well as fire escape.

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Cut your stringers and stick em to the wall, make up cardboard templates if you're not confident.
    Clad the risers and steps in timber.

tore81 likes this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I see what you mean about the treads, I doubt this is going to be under building control.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's obvious to me as to what you're trying to achieve with those stairs

The basements now looking good, like a "proper" room and you want the stairs to look like a "normal" timber staircase at home, not a cast concrete and brick slab

Looks like the treads have been clad with old scaffold board ? But that too is looking tired now

Guess could clad the risers and treads with new timber, either stain the lot or carpet the lot or carpet treads and paint / stain the risers

Could cut out a false stringer and just add to the staircase, some no nails and plugs and screws, caulk gaps and paint - depends on what finish you want as to method and materials

Instead of a stringer could mitre sections of architrave or similar trim and fix around treads and risers

Doubt the current stairs will be that square so could level them when you clad with timber, then nice simple 45's with a chop saw and fix the trim instead of a stringer

Again, depending on the finish, any gaps can be filled, caulked and painted

Reckon as a diy'er it's doable but labour costs would be high if you were to get a pro in

Go for it I say mate :)

16. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Thanks Dave that's really helpful. Over ordered some of the architrave so could have a bash with that. Will also do a couple of test cuts and see what SWMBO wants to do!

The boards are just battens - I put them up as shuttering and screened the tops of the steps to level them out a bit.

I will have a measure the risers tomorrow. Think the pitch and height won't be compliant but as long as a future buyer sees it as a 'room' rather than a bodge basement conversion that would be a good thing 10 years down the line of we decide to sell.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Mark them up in sections and cut them out of a sheet of 18mm MDF, do them in 1200mm sections so its not to big to handle, making templates out of cardboard.

18. Emanuel

Emanuel Member

The most cost-effective would be to buy the stair stringers and do the installation yourself (you can buy them online). It is not a difficult task to do, especially if you are DIY savvy.
    Timber would give a fresher and more natural look, so I prefer them. I would recommend the company that I work for, but I don't want to sound promotional.
    One of my colleagues did a video on how to install stair stringers, but the stairs are different. Still, maybe it will help you:

19. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

You might as well form it out of mortar. lay out battening materials and simply trowel it all in flush to the battens and it will bond to the brick stairs better. sorted in a day

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you look at the photo the OP posted?