Stairs for loft conversion

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DaveMan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DaveMan

DaveMan New Member

Hi guys,

I'm approximately 10 weeks into a loft conversion, which is being completed by a local loft conversion company. I have my concerns that mistakes have been made with an interior wall and the stairs. I've made an appointment to see the owner of the company on site over the next day or two, but thought I would post on here to get some advice first, in case I'm wrong, or the builder tries to have me over!

To outline the layout, we live in a semi-detached, three bedroomed Victorian house, with the door on the side and stairs up the middle of the house to the first floor towards the party wall. The new stairs (for the loft) run parallel to the existing stairs and then loop back on themselves again towards the party wall again. The builder's stated the new stairs are bespoke and made to measure, so I guess should fit perfectly. I have the following concerns, which you should be able to see from the images:

1.) The newel post at the top of the carpeted stairs (start of the new stairs) over hangs rather than being flush ( can be seen in two pictures).
    2.) The newel post at the top of the stairs (see picture with blue extension lead in it) doesn't line up with the internal wall. This won't look good when the spindles are added. Surely they should be in line?
    3.) At the top of the stairs, near to the doorway, the stairs aren't flush to the wall and appear to not have been made wide enough?
    4.) As you look up the new stairs , the wall goes straight up, juts out 45 degrees and then is straight again. This doesn't look right at all, surely it should just go straights up? It appears the steel which supports the loft flooring has been placed 4-6 inches to far over towards the stairs, and the new internal wall has been placed on top of the steel. The think this has been realised late and they've tried to make it as best they can without telling us! The plans appear to show on straights wall.

Many thanks for any help/thoughts in advance....

Attached Files:

thelockman likes this.
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes you are right in your concerns, it not good enough, everything you say is out of line is clearly visible and as you say will look rubbish when finished, it does seem that either the stairs were made wrong or the area they sit in was set out wrong, one thing for sure, it can't stay like that and something need doing to make it look as though the stairs should be there and not just dumped there.

3. DaveMan

DaveMan New Member

Thanks for the reply Phil. I'm not sure how the director of the company is going to feel about putting it right, as it'll cost him. Maybe if he'd made regular visits to monitor the quality of the work it wouldn't of happened in the first place. Wish me luck!

4. DaveMan

DaveMan New Member

Does anyone else have any other views?

5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

DaveMan, I assume you have a working set of drawings? Have them to hand and if possible get the original architect/technician on site for the meeting. You might need to offer him a fee for his attendance.

At the meeting do not get excited but make it plain that you will not accept shabby/inaccurate work. Your technician should be able to show the builder exactly where the mistake is. Let them argue the detail. Any boss will put the mistake right face with such enormous weight of evidence.

An example of poor job supervision.