Stanley fat max drill - (maybe others similar?) Incredibly difficult to release chuck

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by r18rws, Feb 7, 2017.

1. r18rws

r18rws Member

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is one of the lower end DeWalt drills with a slightly different body and battery shell. These are quite prone to sticking as the casing is Nylon and tends to flex quite a bit. You could try good old fashioned WD40 or silicon spray to help it release

r18rws likes this.
  3. r18rws

r18rws Member

for now whacking it or tapping the drill end helps to release the first nip then its fine, although don't want that to be the norm, was looking more long term, as in it needs regular xxxxxx????

OR

Its buggered and needs a repair.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You can get replacement chucks for them.

The high end DeWalt drills have metal chucks and are a world apart from the cheaper ones sold in B&Q / Homebase etc. The battery shoe, I believe is compatible

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try WD40 in the jaws. Open it right up, spray it in, swirl it round and tip it out. Wind the chuck in and out a few times. Better?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. r18rws

r18rws Member

Thanks for suggestions, not made any difference unfortunately. Must be something that has failed.

It is in warranty so will send off for repair...

7. r18rws

r18rws Member

Returned to Homebase as only 10 months old - they exchanged the drill body - I retained all the old other bits - batteries and so on.

Happy with that, and as they put it trough as a refund and re-purchase they gave me £5 back it had dropped in price and also I have registered it with FATMAX for a new 3 year warranty. Nice result. Shame it happened though.

Cheers for the suggestions.