Stanley Super Star 60k Oil range - overheating problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dram773, Sep 14, 2017.

1. dram773

dram773 Member

'morning all
    Would appreciate advice on overheating problem with one of these beasts, which apparently has been a problem since owner moved in 18 months ago.
    Basically, with baffles set to oven, the oven is prevented from reaching temperature because the thermal cutout button activates and the hot water is very hot with knocking in the pipework. Up till now, owner has lived with this by drawing-off the hot water until the reset button can be used. Was less of a problem in winter when CH was on, presumably because the rads provided a heatsink. Now, however, it happens even if the CH is on and the latest twist is that steam is being emitted from the bottle air vent situated next to the range.
    I was thinking one or both two-port valves could be sticking but retired colleague said something about checking the "interstat" - which I must confess I've never heard of. Can't find much service info online, so would be very grateful for advice from someone familiar with these oil-fired ranges.
    Cheers!

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Sounds like a flue way blocked with soot
    Double check, you haven't missed cleaning a flue way between the ovens?

Regards
    Peter

3. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

The interstat is a pump overrun thermostat designed to operate when the primary water reaches a certain temperature. This also cuts off the burner until the temperature is safe. Your problem is common to any range cooker/boiler with a single burner, such as the Rayburn PJ. It would appear that the pump is not being activated, so the interstat is suspect. This will stop the steam at the air vent, but will still prevent the oven getting up to temperature. A customer of mine used to have to fill the bath before cooking Sunday Dinner.

4. dram773

dram773 Member

Thank you, heatyman.
    Any tips on how to check/replace the interstat? I've emailed Waterford Stanley requesting installation/commission instructions, wiring diagram, etc. but no response so far. There is no easy access to the pump - new kitchen units will have to be removed to give access - so I don't want to cause disruption until I have all the info to hand. Meanwhile I'll replace the two-ports as they are noisy and so suspect in any event, in the hope that will help. Or do you think they are a separate issue? Really appreciate your help with this! If you are near Dorset/Hants/Wilts I'd ask you to do the job :).

5. dram773

dram773 Member

Hi Peter, thanks for your suggestion but the flueways are clear.

6. heatyman

What are your 2 2port valves controlling? Usually this type of cooker would be gravity DHW. You need a free circuit to heatsink, (DHW) with pumped heating. The interstat will then cut off the burner whilst operating the pump to dissipate excess heat in the boiler if the heat sink is already hot. You cannot expect anything too sophisticated from this appliance.

7. dram773

dram773 Member

Hi heatyman and thanks for your continued support.
    It is S plan system, with one 2 port for the indirect HW cylinder and another for CH. One bathroom towel rail is uncontrolled heat sink. I'm guessing the by-pass is gate valve not auto. I haven't checked the wiring at the junction box (still waiting for response from Waterford Stanley) and I don't know if any pipe stats were installed or are working. I have no idea where the "interstat" is located or how it is supposed to be wired. Maybe I'll just suggest she moves house ....;)

8. heatyman

The interstat is behind the panel where the other thermostats are. It is a changeover stat that switches the burner off and switches the pump on to dissipate the heat around the heating circuit. How this would be wired into an S plan you would have to interpret the wiring yourself. If your customer is looking for an efficient cooking and heating unit, the Superstar is not the beast. You need a twin burner appliance with a dedicated cooker burner.

9. dram773

dram773 Member

Thanks for that.
    This is (supposed to be) a favour for an elderly relative, although oil ranges are not my field - as you probably have gathered. Just spoke to her on phone and it seems she mostly cooks on electric and uses the immersion for hot water - the Stanley is only really required for CH. However, when she switched it on last week the limit stat popped out (as usual) and steam was emitted from the automatic air vent - this latter frightened her so she has stopped using the range.

10. heatyman

Looks like a boiler stat, pump or airlock.

11. dram773

dram773 Member

Hello heatyman
    Yes, I can check those when I pop over next week. Latest report is that with programmer set to constant DHW & CH, the baffles set to oven, the boiler stat on idle and the oven stat set to 150 she had heating all night without limit stat popping out or any steam from the auto air vent. So my guess is the boiler stat is faulty. Still, if she can get heating with those settings, with luck we'll avoid an 88 years old hypothermia victim ....:)

12. heatyman

I think you will find that the boiler stat on idle means it is full on, likewise the oven stat on idle is also full on.This is so the temperature is controlled by the medium you have selected, in this case the oven. Maybe the boiler stat is faulty, if you were running on the boiler stat with the cooker stat on idle. As I said previously, I don't know how this appliance lends itself to being wired as a fully pumped system.

13. dram773

dram773 Member

Thanks, heatyman.
    Well, I've replaced the two 2-ports and the auto vent and initial results are encouraging. With boiler stat on idle, oven stat on 200C and room stat 21C the CH rads (and house) are up to temp, the DHW is hot but not scalding and the oven is up to temp without the limit stat popping. I'll ask her to try controlling the DHW and CH with the boiler stat today - i.e. with oven stat on idle. BTW no sign of an "interstat" behind the panel, so perhaps it was only fitted to later models.

14. heatyman

Quite possible. The original M.I's specified various pipe stats, but often omitted.

15. Boojars

Boojars New Member

Hi !! Desparete for some help with Rayburn 480k !.it fires up fine ,but then within minutes it powers down and lockout ! Any ideas ? Help !!

16. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Perhaps your pump is not working, ?

Boiler fires, gets hot, and if pump not working, over heating?

Regards
    Peter

17. Boojars

Boojars New Member

Thank you for your help !! I will try that !

18. heatyman

Do you mean lock out as in burner control box lock out, or overheat stat 'lockout'.

19. Boojars

Boojars New Member

Thank you for replying !! What I mean by lock out is when the button at the bottom of the Rayburn goes orange /red .It does this for both the cooker & boiler side .
    I think they are called burner control boxes ?(squashy button !)
    Amanda