Staple guns made clear

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Sharononline, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Sharononline

Sharononline New Member

Hi all
    this is my first post. I cannot find the info i need to know so hope someone can help.
    I am upholstering some dining chairs. My Black and Decker Powershot, manual staple gun fires too big staples. It is a T50. I am trying to find out what this means and what other terms there are. I have searched the web and failed to find any useful information.
    I have seen 18g mentioned and in a post on this forum the following 'As for staples you have 'A' type, T50, 140 series, Type 90, 53 series, t50, 26 series' - but what does this all mean?
    I need something finer, and preferably an electric model. I realise that a pneumatic model is probably better, but as this is a one off project and I don't have need for a compressor I cannot justify this expenses.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't go for an electric stapler, there is only 1 company that makes one that works and I can't remember it's name at the mo. What you need is a Rapid 23 that fires a type 13 staple, costs about £25 and is an industry standard.

DIYDave. likes this.
  3. Sharononline

Sharononline New Member

Hi
    Thanks. I have ordered one. i was goign ofr the electric because I am not very strong and had a frozen shoulder for about 6 months, which doesn't help!
    But i would still appreciate knowing what type 13 and all the others is about! Just so that i understand should i ever need to know for the future.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The T50 fires a very heavy staple and best with a hammer stapler, the rapid 23 and it's bigger cousin fires a light staple that is ideal for a hand stapler, 6mm staples are narrow crown and are usually used in air guns for stapeling ply to timber as are 9mm staples which tend to be longer and heavier duty.
    Have a look here.
    http://www.flints.co.uk/pdfcatalogue/W2.116-2.117_Staples_and_Staplers_2015.pdf