Starting out as a carpenter

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jhar89, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jhar89

Jhar89 New Member

Hi all
    New to these forums so don't know if this is the right place but I'll give it a shot.
    I'm 27 and have been working in a relatively dead end job for the last few years. Need to get out and get into something solid that I'll hope I'd enjoy... managed to get the odd bit of weekend work for a carpenter (friend of a friend) and have decided this is something I'd like to pursue. I'm obviously relatively unskilled/inexperienced in the trade but have enrolled onto a level 2 city and guilds carpentry diploma. My main question really is where to get started? The course isn't until October and is weekends however I'd like to try and pick up some work before then. My biggest problem is, due to my age I can't really afford an apprentices wage so am trying to get regular weekend work to begin with. I would just like to know people's opinions on this and the best way for me to go about getting into the trade and a new career. I don't expect lots of money but living on my own my bills need to be covered. Sorry for the long post, any help would my much appreciated! Cheers, James

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Starting out at any age is difficult and of course being over 25 you are going to cost more to employ than a 16-18 year old.

One way to get into the business is to volunteer for some of the home handyman schemes that people like "help the aged", "age concern" etc. run. This way you get a taste of what it is like to work on a client site and also with method statements, health and safety etc. You will also come into contact with trades people whom help out and monitor on the scheme

Jhar89 likes this.
  3. Jhar89

Jhar89 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I must admit I'd not even considered that. I'll get on to it! Thanks again for your help.

4. Flame

Flame Member

I'm in a similar position but with plumbing, my plan is to volunteer on my days off work to gain experiance. when it comes to paid work.. welllllll don't expect to get much, I was working about 8 years ago with a kitchen fitter doing an apprenticeship for about £80 a week... i guess things have changed now, especially if they're legit, however there's plenty of kiddies willing to earn some pocket money.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Volunteering seems to work well for a number of people starting out because it gives you those customer feedbacks that paying customer want. And of course if you can do a good job when working for free - gives an indication of what you will be like for money

All the best to both of you.

Flame and Jhar89 like this.
  6. Jhar89

Jhar89 New Member

I think that's the route I'll have to go! And as sospan says it's proves you can do a good job!
    Good luck with your plans!!

7. Trackside

Trackside New Member

hi James, been reading your thread with interest as I've been concidering a career change into joinery myself. I have some experience from years ago (I've worked as a shopfitter and also used to make bespoke furniture) but this was a long time ago and I'm well out of the loop.
    How did you decide which college route to go down? Is city and guilds the best choice? I've been trawling through local colleges around Sheffield but struggling to find a course that's evenings or weekends (there's no way I can afford to stop work with a mortgage and baby at home).
    Just using your thread as a place to 'think out loud' really but good luck with the new career :)

8. Jhar89

Jhar89 New Member

Hello mate.

I was in a similar position when it came to needing an evening or weekend course. Managed to find a private training provider about 40mins drive from me in Dartford which runs the course 2 weekends a month (obviously means the course takes longer to complete as you have to complete 40 days) but it was best option for me.
    As for city and guilds I just wanted something recognised by the trades and would hopefully prove my skills and I've been told city and guilds is the way. My course begins in October and it seems in the mean time I may of found a builder willing to take me on for Saturday work which will give me the on site experience needed. The plan then, if things work out with him, is when I begin the course to put the skills and experiences together and he may be able to pay me enough to leave my current job and just give it a proper crack!
    Think I've gone off the point a bit but hope it helps. I think you need to go the private provider route instead of colleges for weekend courses as colleges seem to run in time with college terms etc.

All the best mate!

James

9. Trackside

Trackside New Member

That's great. Thanks for the reply. I'll have a search around and see what I can find.

10. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I was a shop fitter for 10 years no qualifications at all. I was made redundant last November. Took all my tools and countless ppl told me to go self employed and start up. So i did and never had a quite week. Booked till middle of june so far.

Just jump in and do it. You will have more stress and worries well i do. But its good ti be your own biss

11. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson New Member

Excellent point of view Here!