Starting out on my own

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ed Ugarte, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

I really want to start out on my own working for myself but not really to sure how to start. I haven't really done any private work so don't have people to recommend me. Is it worth getting flyers printed and doing a mass drop campaign, advertise in the local paper, get a website, I really don't know. Any advice from someone who has done something similar and had any good results would be greatly appreciated.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All of those.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Also getting your van (I'm assuming you have one otherwise supplying materials is going to be really hard work mate) signwritten can also work, but you are also advertising the fact that you'll be carrying tools so you have to weigh up the pros and cons of maybe being targeted for robbery. I've found its a bit of a waiting game that pays off eventually when people remember your van and decide to give you a try. I also hear yellow pages is a winner, but then everyone has a story of what works for them or not. I personally didn't find advertising in the local mag helped, as there were over a dozen other carpenters and builders in there, so too much competition. Whatever you choose, remember to factor in your advertising costs over the year into your quotes otherwise you'll be on a loser before you start, people will always want something for nothing so don't be put off if the first customers you have are timewasters. Best of luck.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I saw a guy the other day that had his details printed on a "pop up" work tent he was using to cover his chop saw. It looked really professional

5. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

I have been self employed 25 years this years and like anything both your trade and advertising/publicity you never stop learning.

I have posted this before but this is what I would suggest.

I only do small jobs max a week, you can charge a bit more and if you don't get paid it is better losing a weeks money rather than a months. In addition if you are in some ones house for only a few days they are less likely to get fed up with you.

Buy the "Business for Dummies" book, its a bit American but you can dip in and out of it and it explains all the basics including HRMC, advertising etc, there is also a "Marketing for Dummies" etc, etc.

Website, you can do this yourself with Site Builder or similar, the difficult bit is getting on the Google search pages, I pay £30.00 a month for search optimisation but you are up against pay per click all the time.

DL full colour one side B & W on the other flyers on good quality paper with your logo, your photo and your website on them, much better than business cards and they usually end up on the fridge door, Vista print about £100.00 for loads. If I work in a road I get the flyers out on the last day giving details of where I worked for references. Don't mass drop, check out the cars in the drive, maybe pay the local Scouts to do it.

Facebook page, post customer comments and photos of your work, you can target advertise, I hit about 16 000 pages in a 10 mile radius over 30 days for £100.00. Link the page to your website.

Twitter, like FB but a bit more grown up again link to your website.

Not that many chippies have good websites so if you advertise in the local free magazine push the website, if you think about it the Internet is a wonderful place for chippies to advertise as by and large techies are a target market.

Find out who your target market is, only recently I worked out that the majority of my work is from women aged between 25 and 60 so its pointless sponsoring the local football team. Its taken me 25 years to realise!

Sign write your van, push that website its your shop window.

All your advertising needs to have a landline and mobile to inspire confidence.

Mybuilder works for me, Rated people doesn't.

Get printed rugby tops or tee-shirts.

When you go to quote smile, show you know your trade, take your shoes off even if you have not been asked.

Quote (not estimate) within 48 hours.

Get some terms and conditions (have a look at others on the web)

Hope this helps

neibick76, FatHands and Terry_73 like this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have always done this, I find if someone wants a lot of things done, I always say lets do this part first then we can look at the rest. Quite often the customer likes this as the "risk" to them is much less and also means they can manage the cost. Plus as you say there is less risk of the customer not having the full amount and of course you are not turning away other customers because you are bogged down on a long job.

The majority of the horror stories you hear about are from contractors whom go on site and keep on going for months and months. And as you say most work comes from ladies whom want the work done, don't want to know all the details but want to have updates as you go along.

mr moose likes this.
  7. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

Thanks for your replies guys

8. echelon101

echelon101 Member

From client side:
    1. Treat the homeowner with respect. My wife instantly vetoes any tradesman who answers a question to me when in fact she asks it. This has happened several times.
    2. Show me your experience. If you don't have photos from projects, show me your qualifications and if you don't have qualifications, demonstrate an understanding of the problem.
    3. Talk me through options. I will have done some research but I won't be completely clued up on pros and cons. Give me an idea of the good, the bad and the ugly. This is where you can demonstrate understanding
    4. I use Checkatrade, when I have time and I use MyBuilder, when I am lazy. The former, I have to search tradesmen and the latter, I have them come to me. Have a presence on both and use (2).
    5. Have a look at your competition in your area, you can cheat by using Checkatrade. Why does a particular tradesman or company have so many reviews? But remember, emulation with innovation is just copying, your product (you and your work) has to be different.
    6. On the subject of difference, are you going to Efficient and Good (High Quality/Beyond Good), Good and Cheap (Work Spread Out to achieve quality) or Cheap and Efficient (Low Quality/Good Enough). Many homeowners will have different priorities, you will have to discern what their priorities are, have some template questions.
    Hope this helps.

FatHands likes this.