Steamer or sponge for wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by igeoff, Mar 22, 2015.

1. igeoff

igeoff New Member

Hi, I wallpapered the plasterboard walls (it's a new build) in our living room last year now i want to remove the paper, Shall i just sponge it off as it's just the one covering or use a steamer? just a bit worried as i don't want to damage the drywall underneath and a steamer seems a bit OTT.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Geoff

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bucket of warm water & a spot of washing up liqiud is what I use.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have the walls been skimmed or papered directly onto the PB ?

As above, a bucket of water should do the job in this case, whereas as steamer is great when there are multiple layers of paint or layers of paper in an older property

Don't forget, add a spot of "elbow grease" and all should be fine

Lightly scoring paper as well will aid when wetting ( not too deep as you don't want to score the plaster underneath )

4. Steamers have a nasty habit of removing the underlying plaster along with the wallpaper!!

5. igeoff

igeoff New Member

The walls were just painted the usual magnolia when we moved in so i just papered over the top, Hopefully it'll come off easy!

6. igeoff

igeoff New Member

Thats what i was worried about, I'd rather take my time than ruin the plasterboard underneath, Thanks for the advice will give it a go with a sponge & soapy water.

Cheers

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Steamers are generally fine to use with no issues and can speed up the job considerably

Two areas when problems can occur;

1. Plaster in poor condition, ie, blown or full of cracks (steam gets under the plaster and blows it off wall)

2. Poor technique, ie, holding steamer in same position for too long, again blowing plaster

I've used a steamer to strip loads of rooms and not had any big issues, except for the odd, small patch of plaster blowing
    As above, a lot depends on wall condition and technique

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just a point, if the wall has been papered would you then get a good enough surface to paint on, so you may need to re-paper in lining paper anyway.