Steel RSJ

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mrppp, May 24, 2017.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

If i have a large steel going across the room (inside joists) allowing room to open into extension, how do you get pipework/cables through. Would say a little box section one side be the way? Coming out of ceiling one side through box section then back up?

2. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Are the joists sitting on top of the steel? Can you go over the top of the steel!

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

No joists are in an I beam either side. It may be i can get through another way, but can't see a direct route i.e through beam being possible. Don't want to go drilling a structural steel.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

How high are the joists compared to the height of the steel? If there is not room to go over the steel or below the steel then chase them into the wall. May be easier to go up into the room above and chase in the wall just above the steel. You could chase in some 25mm plastic conduit to make the cables easy to work on.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Cross batten the joists and create a void between joists and plasterboard ceiling.

I got my steels pre drilled for cables, definitely helps.

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Well guess I could do that lower all joists and create a void, so maybe an option if my other plan fails. thanks

7. Greentram

Greentram Member

You can have openings in the web of a steel beam but it needs an engineer to verify the opening size and position.