Steel Staircase and Landing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ZapBranny, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

My house is on a slope, leading to a 5ft drop at the rear.

I want to replace the wooden landing and staicase from the back door, but am having trouble locating anywhere that sells a steel staircase and a metal landing. I don't really want to replace it with wood as I don't think it will last.

Anybody know a decent place to get something like this?

Any idea how much I should be looking at for something like this?

In North Oxfordshire

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Google Steel Fabricators, metal fire escapes north oxfordshire.

Any other questions

3. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

Outstanding............ why didn't I think of that!

Because they all cater for Commercial buildings, looking for something adapatable that I can bolt together and install on site.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Try googling DIY metal staircases north oxfordshire

Any other questions

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The trouble with most stairs on the outside is they are made to fit the application, so as said above, look for a local steel fabrication manufacturer.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

7. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

Did you try it before you posted it....... why bother replying.

Thanks Phil.

Really surprised there is not a standard fit i.e landing sizes to choose from, then you choose a leg length and stair length.

Seems to be a fair few US companies doing it but nothing in the UK.

Trouble with these fabrication companies as soon as you supply them with measurements they take it as making some bespoke piece of work they want mega money for.

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its like I say to my lads at work, I can show you where the toilet paper is but I aint wiping your *

9. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

I think your analogy is slightly out, it would be more like telling them to google toilet paper.

Ho Ho...how they must laught.....It must be great working for you, I bet the lads never tire of your witty banter.

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

My lads can think for themselves.

Anyway back to your op, as it seems you are after a cheap solution for your stairs, contact some scaffolders and ask for a price to install some or buy some scaffolding and build it yourself.
    Personally I would build them out of timber, there are build practices and treatments you can use to prolong the life of timber.

11. ZapBranny

ZapBranny New Member

Thanks Wiggy.

Cheapish, not scaffolding cheap, just not the custom prices that I have been quoted so far (they are big firms doing commercial work and just aren't really interested).

I may have to go with timber if I cant find anything reasonable.

I was thinking of the Stairs and landings for Mezzanine floors i.e that have to I beam sides and chequerplate steps that bolt onto them.

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Take a look on ebay, there are plenty of used steel staircases, unless you are flukey lucky you are not going to find anything that is going to fit your space without it being chopped about.

Consider the cost to transport the stairs the chopping about, the installation and the painting, it will probably work out as expensive as getting someone in to build the lot.

Off the top of my head to build a timber staircase with handrail and landing area with handrail, ballpark £1500/2000, there are obviously a lot of variables in that.