Stelrad Ideal W Flow and Return?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by itwillallendintears, Sep 1, 2008.

1. itwillallendintears

itwillallendintears New Member

I have the misfortune to be required to fit an auto bypass valve on my son's Stelrad Ideal W central heating system and I don't know which is the flow outlet and which the return. It is heavily boxed in. Is anyone out there familiar with these antiques and able to help?

I had a brain when I was younger and would have run it before dismantling the rads but now I'm not so bright.

Ideally it should be scrapped but the house cost so much there's no money for anything else for a while.

The thing is built in tight and I don't want to take the cover off (which I have no manual for) in case I find something I don't like. This is going by the rads which have had green sealing gunge applied to the OUTSIDE of the valves by the handful.

2. ripitout

ripitout New Member

the ideal w had four tappings in the rear of the heat exchanger,ie two flow outlets at the top and two at the bottom for the returns.same as the older ideal concords.
    a bypass is not required on these models,why do you need to fit one?

3. rome60

rome60 New Member

Don"t know why you need a bye pass on the boiler unless it has a fully pumped S plan.To determine the f & r start boiler from cold & feel the pipes nearest the boiler hottest will be the flow.;)

4. itwillallendintears

The system was originally a HW + CH. The loft was converted into a bedroom and the HW tank was junked and a seperate gas instant water device was installed. The boiler was then CH only, with 7 rads, all fitted with manual valves. All the valves show signs of leaking. Several have had their joints tightened up to a phenomenal degree to prevent the leaking, a 14" stilson was required to undo one. Finally green gunk has been applied.
    This is all by deduction, the vendor merely stated that it is old but works fine.
    My assumption was that the system was put under excessive pressure by the then owners turning off all the radiators with the manual valves. There is no thermostat and it is a quite warm mid-terrace property so the temptation is there. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

What exactly is it about these models that means they don't need a bypass?

Thanks for your response, I shall look harder at those tappings!

5. ripitout

ripitout New Member

Don"t know why you need a bye pass on the boiler unless it has a fully pumped S plan.To determine the f & r start boiler from cold & feel the pipes nearest the boiler hottest will be the flow.;)
    <u>_________________________________</u>

the ideal w doesnt require a bypass,its an old cast iron lump.....s plan makes no difference.;)

6. ripitout

ripitout New Member

ok,just read your recent post.
    fit a room stat and a timeswitch, and fit one rad with a lockshield valve.

the vendor was a bodger!!!!

7. ripitout

ripitout New Member

two lockshields even...one one rad.

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

..and there you have your bypass.

9. itwillallendintears

Thank you one and all. I will go away and reconsider what I am trying to achieve.