Step in bathroom needs taking out

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaned93, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Hello there in the process of renovating my first house. In the bathroom (downstairs) there's a step in the middle and the toilet is on the raised part 2-3 inches high. The seller said it was to originally separate rooms but his not sure. 1950 house I really want to get rid as I can see it being a hazard for children etc. Any advice thanks kane. (Concrete aand bichiman floor not sure how you spell it)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think you will need to supply pictures of inside,and also of the stack outside.

If the step is removed, then the waste outlet pipe will need to be re positioned as well.

3. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I can't upload photos off my phone it won't let me. Stack is the other side of the house and sound pipe is vertical into the ground.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sounds darn lethal.

5. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Tell me abouy it just worried to knock out out incase it's there for a substantial reason.

6. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

There we go

Attached Files:

7. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

There we go

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

All should be possible. Hopefully the floor has only been raised in that particular area using battens, i think you will have to do a trial hole near to the bath to investigate the construction use.

I assume the floor is timber?

Looks like plywood or similar has been applied over floor boards.

If the toilet waste goes straight down then this will alleviate a lot of problems.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just noticed its on the ground floor:oops:

May be concrete :eek:

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think there is only 2 options:

1. Bring rest of floor up to the same level - there will then be a step at the door.
    2. Use breaker to remove to high section, taking care not to break any clay pipes.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Somebody has remove a wall I supsect in the past, does it run under the bath, can't see in photo.

12. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I thought about raising the floor how would I go about this? Yes it's concrete unfortunately

13. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

I believe this is the case but it was done some years ago so.nobody really knows why it's there just don't want wet tiles out of Bath and bang your down. Specially after a few beers

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just go at it slowly & you should be ok.
    Toilet pipe I would think will go straight down, but you never know...:oops::oops:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bit slow this morning.:p

Might be engineering brick, skimmed.

16. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Yeah I'm not sure just looks an i saw and dangerous

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If it was my project I would break up the concrete. will have to do a trial dig to determine material used.(you could be without a toilet for a day!:))

If you raise the floor, the door would need to be reduced in height and the sink pedestal will need to be raised too with.

What is the height of the bath, I think 540mm is the standard height of a bath (from floor level to top).

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How does the waste water from bath and sink escape, is there a gully outside - quite possibly?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The bath is cast iron.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely a cast iron bath, has iron bracket screw adjustable feet.