Step in paint level

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by messimagician, Oct 14, 2016.

1. messimagician

messimagician New Member

I'm having trouble painting the window reveals, I decided to paint the corners where the beads were with zinsser primer sealer to prevent any rust stains possible leeching through, but now when ever I paint the reveal with contract matt paint it is leaving a horrible step where I've used the zinsser sealer. I've sanded the whole reveal so its level and smooth but it still leaves a step after repainting again

Has anyone got any advice or tips to correct this?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a photo:) gives use a better understanding your problem.
    Might be better with a stabilishing solution like Everbuild 406.

3. messimagician

messimagician New Member

Here is a picture of the issue.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. messimagician

messimagician New Member

I've got some zinsser gardz which is supposed to seal chalky paint. Would it be going over the mist coat with this before giving a top coat?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Isn't contract paint thin?

6. messimagician

messimagician New Member

Quite the opposite actually, Leyland contract matt is really thick and needs watering down especially for mist coat.

What I was thinking was to give the wall a light sanding so it's all smooth again. Then give it a coat of zinsser guards which I hope would stabilise the surface.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Which Zinsser product did you use;
    Cover Stain
    BIN

I've had same problem before after using BIN (shellac based) over a water stain

The emulsion just wouldn't adhere to it but was building up around the surrounding area, creating a step

Sanded down the emulsion, then gave the BIN a light rub down , say 180 paper, wiped down then all was ok. Can't remember what emulsion it was, maybe Leyland actually, all blended in nicely for an invisible repair

Good luck

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I think you will get better results with Zinsser Gardz as it's a water based prouduct.

A coat over the mist coat should work ok.

9. messimagician

messimagician New Member

Initially I had used 123 but I was getting the same problem, I thought with it being water based it would not cover any potential rust stains anyway so I used bin over the top of it.

I'm going to give it a go with gardz tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem.

The paint seems to build up more over the parts that aren't painted with bin hence the step and rough paint effects between the two surfaces

But I need to sort this out obviously before doing the top coats