Sticking Plywood to Ceramic Tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Nikos72, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Nikos72

Nikos72 New Member

Hello,

I'm about to re-do our Kitchen, and on the floor I'd like to avoid lifting the ceramic tiles. My plan was to lay some Ply on top and then vinyl on the ply.

My question is, can someone please recommend an adhesive to stick the ply to the ceramic tile, and anything I should look out for, or be careful of etc?

The tiles are solid, no grout cracks or anything that might become a problem (I think) once the ply and vinyl are installed

Thanks in advance.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You'd probably better using self levelling compound...would be quicker and well 'leveller' :)

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It depends on how big you kitchen is.

If the floor space is bigger than 8x4 then you are going to need more than one sheet and you will end up with a horrible joint that will mark and eventually spoil the vinyl.

The best thing as CGN says above is to use self levelling

It isn't going to be an easy job as you will have to decide if you want to remove the kickboards under the units and make a framework to hold the compound back, then when dry adjust the kickboards for the new floor height or just pour it up to the kickboard and clean up afterwards

bond007 likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just lift the tiles and have done with it.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Take kick boards off as it'll be difficult to remove them in the future. As long as you don't make it too runny, I wouldn't worry about 'containing' it under the units. Just be careful around any door thresholds. Make sure you mix thoroughly to prevent dry spots.