Still none the wiser.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scott34, Sep 19, 2017.

1. scott34

scott34 New Member

I posted yesterday about my boiler and immersion heater.
    Well today had someone out to look and he's perplexed too. He can't fault find on the boiler as there is no power in it yet the fuse hasn't blown and the heating timer box is working. The fuse inside the boiler panel hasn't blown either.
    Then the immersion heater again water pressure is fine fuse hasn't blown and that's not working.
    Help please.
    Glow worm open vent boiler hxi

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If someone can't fix it in person, I doubt someone on a virtual forum will fare much better.

Need to go back to basics. Not sure what the boiler issue is if there's 'no power in it yet' - no power, no worky.

Re the immersion heater, sounds like the immersion heater element needs testing. Do you have a multi meter and feel comfortable using one? You should be able to measure the voltage across the terminals if you feel confident using one with exposed live terminals. If you have 240v across it and its not working, then its broken and needs replacing.

3. scott34

scott34 New Member

I didn't think someone on the forum could magically fix it, but someone may have had a similar issue or suggestions that had not been thought off. Experience or tried and tested methods are always useful as an initial idea as to figuring it out which is why a wider community forum may be helpful.
    And I the heating element was tested and was showing 240v going through it.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Voltage doesn't go through the element but is across it. Voltage across the element doesn't mean its working, just that there is power getting to it. Current through the element means its working. So what test was done exactly? If there is 240V across the element and there is current through the element, it is working and must be heating something up.

5. scott34

scott34 New Member

The voltage must have been going across it and the heater element must need replacing then cause there's no hot water anywhere.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes I concur.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Scott , I must say the person you got to look at your problems isn't up to much if he can't suss out why an immersion heating element isn't working .did you observe him testing this , did he by any chance use a neon screwdriver and not a meter ?

8. scott34

scott34 New Member

It's rented accommodation so they send out who they have a contract with. And he does the yearly maintenance on the boiler.
    Yes I watched and he used a meter to check the voltage. Everything seemed normal and he left and I waited for the immersion to heat up which never happened.
    And I'm probably not explaining it to my best ability on here, as it doesn't seem to add up but that's why it's a mystery.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so what was his diagnosis then ? everything's normal , but doesn't work ! you obviously need to get back in touch with landlord /agent s and get someone out who knows what they are doing.

10. scott34

scott34 New Member

Well the diagnosis is no hot water or heating since Friday. And waiting for him to hear back from boiler manufacturer.