Storage heater too hot?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by clear as mud, Nov 23, 2006.

1. clear as mud

clear as mud New Member

called out to see client with storage heater that is apparently not regulating its heat output correctly (too hot). i have no experience with servicing of these items but it appears the output is controlled by a flap valve and possibly some kind of bi-metallic spring? Anyone with any experience of these things having such faults? and are they easy enough to repair?

2. BusterGonad

BusterGonad New Member

It's normally the other way i.e not enough heat output. The bi-metalic strip is normally the culprit. It's just a case of gentle manipulation. Take the front cover of and ajust the dials whilst looking at the strip. See if it moves as it should in accordance with the settings. Hope this is of some help.

3. spud gun

spud gun New Member

The bi metallic strip controls the output from the heater, if it is getting too hot it may be the input stat that is faulty, stick your multimeter on ohms and check the stat is cutting in and out

4. mr bojangles

mr bojangles Member

charge regulator is knackered ,thermal link will eventuallty melt or pop out , depending on make

5. BusterGonad

BusterGonad New Member

If the strip aint closing the vent when asked, the heater may be giving off too much heat. At least you have a few things to go on.

6. clear as mud

clear as mud New Member

thanks lads, will get back and check those items.

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Everyone seems to have overlooked the most common cause of Billing exceptions that I investigated whilst DNO employed!

Timeswitch failiure in Off Peak mode! ;)

This will be giving the Storage Heaters 24Hr Off Peak and hence overheat them!

If it's just the one then obviously it won't be this, unless the unit in question has a failed thermostat too?

8. mr bojangles

mr bojangles Member

the heater can stay on all day the regulator controls how hot it gets,it needs replacing

9. BusterGonad

BusterGonad New Member

...Everyone seems to have overlooked the most common cause of Billing exceptions that I investigated whilst DNO employed!

Maybe if I had spent time investigating billing exceptions, whilst DNO employed, I would not have overlooked it :)

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

11. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

The bi-metal strip has very little to do with overheating if at all . It will be the charge controller thermostat ,sometimes the contacts weld together ,separate and a quick file will prolong life for a while ,otherwise change charge controller.

12. IanS

IanS New Member

Watch out for overheating storage rads. There was a case not so long ago where the high temp caused break down of the insulation which generated CO which then killed someone.