Strip foundations in job postponed question about protection

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tiler7777, Nov 17, 2014.

1. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

Thanks for your help with my project so far.

Ok I have my strip foundations in 8 days ago, they are 450mm deep the top is 300mm below ground level and was about to build block work up to get me out of ground level. Anyway when I was clearing the site yesterday I have bust my back and I am going to have to put off the job for 4-6 weeks.I am in real pain and on co

So my question is this, does my concrete need protecting from the elements in the next 4-6 weeks. That's going to take me up to xmas and it could snow and have ice.I have some polythene, but do I need more protection or is it ok to let snow lie on top?

Also it rained pretty heavy last night its the first time its been uncovered and there is an inch of rain resting on top, is this ok, the curing time is 7 days right?

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Hi tiler,
    It doesn't need protecting, but it's always better working on clean concrete, if the sides are going to start falling in and the stuff is going to get covered in soil then personally I'd get it covered imo...Bad back! last thing anyone needs...is that co-codamol?

B J

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Personally if you have hurt your back just leave it, it will not get damaged while it sit waiting for you to return to it, just give it a good clean when your ready to start working in it again.

Don't push it with your back, I know from experience, I had spine surgery in January this year, didn't get back to working properly until mid August.