Strong fat short screw...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by James V, May 15, 2016.

1. James V

James V Member

hi

I'm fitting a magnetic lock to a fire door and I need a way to fix it that doesn't involve drilling all of the way through the door and fitting the bolt fixing that came with it. I want a short fat screw, that I could possibly also glue in place? The plate that I want to fix to the door has only one screw hole, so that it has a little movement (so it can move to join the magnet on the other side when the door closes). Any thoughts on a fixing approach that doesn't involve drilling all of the way through my door to fix from the other side?

image.jpeg

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

The main problem with the armature is that it needs a little 'free' movement to ensure it 'latches' with the mag, hence it comes with one middle fixing bolt, that goes through a rubber washer, along with two 'aligning' holes that stop it from rotating.
    Is there any particular reason why you can't use the fixing as supplied?, ie the middle bolt.
    Also, you are fixing to a fire door, ramifications could be quite severe if the fire door is unable to perform easy egress when required.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Magnets and plates need not move if they are the first point of contact.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. James V

James V Member

I'm building an airtight / soundproof room and the reason for having maglocks in the first place was so that I didn't have to compromise my doors by fitting mortise locks. Any penetrations through the door aren't good, so I don't want to drill a huge hole for the fixing bolt. A short, fat, strong screw that had a bead of epoxy resin type glue under it was what I was thinking....

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Past experiences show that a solid armature and mag are prone to misalignment, if one side is apart by just a tad then full adhesion isn't achieved.

Any sort of movement out of true by shrinkage or swelling will cause a failure to engage the full forces required for locking, hence why mags/armatures are designed/installed to allow for a certain degree of misalignment.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You building a studio?

7. James V

James V Member

Yup!

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or just gag your hostages.....lol :rolleyes:

GoodwithWood and CGN like this.