Struggling to cut accurately with a Skill type saw.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by NT555, Nov 8, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I did.

2. NT555

NT555 Member

To be honest you don't need a measure to see how out of parallel it is. I only measured it in order to quantify it for the post. The combination square i'm using in this case is a 6" Bahco CS150 which i test against a digital micrometer. Not to ISO standards but not too bad.

3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Having correctly found out that the saw is duff. Bin it and get a good one.

tore81 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Erbauer,Titan,plus a few other brands are cheap ****** made power tools & quaility is lacking.

5. NT555

NT555 Member

Hi, just to report back: The screws holding the foot plate are made of plasticine.. you show them a screwdriver and they round off - F brilliant!. The depth of cut adjustment is miss shaped like a deformed banana. Shocking. Anyway,on recommendation i've ordered a Bosch GKS190 for less than £100 (cashback deal) which should arrive Tue. The bin men come Wed. Happy days (hopefully)

Many thanks for all your help.

KIAB and chippie244 like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You'll like the Bosch GKS190, but use quailty blades like Freud.

7. NT555

NT555 Member

The Bosch arrived and has been busy all afternoon. The original blade seemed fine, but i splashed out on a £20.00 Frued from SF. Really great results with little tear out and stayed on line really well. I knocked up a zero clearance guide as recommended. Great results. Many thanks to you all.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. NT555

NT555 Member

Cheers Kiab, i'll get a LP40M.. the next time i'm at SF. In my mind i've always thought that Freud blade were expensive and have never considered them. I have a Dewalt 305mm chop saw that could do with a new blade. Is there a Freud blade you'd recommend?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Freud LP60M 025 305mm 48 tooth blade.

Freud PRO LP60M 026 305mm 72 tooth blade.

Freud LP60M006 305mm 96 tooth blade

Finally there is the
    Freud LP91M 006 in the Pro ULTIMAX range which is a 80 tooth blade, but you be better off either the 96,72 or 48 tooth blade.

EDIT:

Hunt around might find them cheaper.

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~96229~LP60M026-Poratble-Saw-Blade-305-X-30-X-72T.html

www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~96230~LP60M006-Poratble-Saw-Blade-305-X-30-X-96T.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/...2.6-x-30-x-80T.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Freud blades arn't expensive when compared to other blades, as I find they stay sharper, don't buckle, give a cleaner cut & they outlast other brands.

A Dewalt 305mm 80 tooth is around £73, Bosch 96 tooth £95, compared to £48 for the Freud 72 tooth, & £45 for the 96 tooth blades.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

That solves the Freudian dilemma....

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When you say one thing but mean your mother. :):)

14. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Man alive! Its Brian Blessed

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Has he fallen over?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just having a nap. SF turned it sideways and I don't know how to correct it.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

More Merv Hughes with a snood on

18. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hi, really sack it off and buy something else, you didn't want to buy a saw and then spend ages trying to re-engineer it! triton stuff is rubbish, make sure you let anybody else know who are thinking of buying one, i'm sure you could get a budget makita, or bosch one under 150 that would be fine for ages!

19. markOz

markOz New Member

I have same problem with Bosch GKS 65. Difference in lenght from foot side to diameter oposite sides of the blade is 2 mm, when saw is turned upside down (dia of the blade is 190 mm). When I saw with Bosch guide, saw starts to clog, because blade is not parallel to the guide. It is dangerous, especially on thick materials. Saw can be kicked back.
    I unscrewed all screws that are holding machine to the foot, but movement is around 0.5 mm, and I must correct 2 mm.
    Reason for that could be, as I can remember, when I was sawing 15 mm plywood which was supported on side that should be cut off, so it cloged saw a bit. I even chunked rubber on saw guide, because saw wanted to go left side, towards the guide. Could something be bent that way, so it becomes 2 mm unparallel?