Stud Wall Fixing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gummo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Attached Files:

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Whichever cabinet takes your fancy I suppose. ;)

3. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

John, I'm looking for advice on the fixing - I've already bought both cabinets.

4. joinerjohn1

Ahh gotcha. If you can be certain of finding a stud to secure at least one side to. I'd use something like a 2" No8 screw. You might be lucky and pick up studs on  on both sides so go with those screws. If you can't find a stud on the other side, you could use a plasterboard fixing or a hollow wall toggle type of fixing.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

6. joinerjohn1

Ahh Tomp, I prefer the stuff that's got the solvent in it. Smells great (even if it makes me dizzy)

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

8. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Ha, tried that, Jitender - they wouldn't recommend anything.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Manual shows a round head screw being used, the tall cabinet has 4 fixing brackets, use together with 4x washers supplied as indicated.:)

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you would't expect a pen pusher to know trade secrets, those pigs dik's will just rip out, you need to find the woodwork at the back,

Aardvark Plasterworks likes this.
  12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

what's the shear strength of the paper coating on plasterboard Tom ?

nothing wrong with those fixings, nothing at all

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

gluing cabinets to plasterboard walls isn't a trade secret Tom, it's a bodge, not even an intelligent bodge

I bet you use nails to fix plasterboard as well ......... ah yes you've already admitted to doing that

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes I think I remember reading on the instuctions on the tube where it says, " bodge things to the wall with no nails' . bet you're a laff a minute in your house when mrs _ork puts a bag of sugar in the kitchen cupboard and the whole kitchen falls apart,

15. joinerjohn1

Summat only a right geek would know (or want to know)  ( I bet your gonna google the answer for us)  ,, ain't ya.

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

those fixings shown will each take aound 15Kg - a standard sheet of 12.5mm PB will take about 40Kg/M squared - so even if you don't find a pair of studs the wall mounted cabinet can easily be supported

the floor mounted cabinet just needs to be fixed at the top to prevent it from toppling, so again the illustrated fixing will do just fine

please don't try gluing either cabinet to your wall, even as a ''backup''

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no need to google it JJ, it's one of those thing some people remember, it's the same as some people know that gluing cabinets to plasterboarded walls is wrong and REALLY pointless, and that no one uses nails to fix plasterboard these days

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

read and weep,
    310ml. High strength, quick-grab, fast curing, solvented bonding adhesive with gap-filling properties. Adheres to most common building surfaces and replaces nails and screws. Can be used on rough or smooth surfaces, internally or externally. Also fixes skirting boards, decorative panels, door surrounds, PVC cladding, floorboards, timber framework, worktops, grippers, vineers, mouldings and laminates.
    View more information
    Product contents:
    310ml plastic cartridge.

and its not holding the cupboard up, the screws into the woodwork are, just to clarify to the hard of thinking,

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I don't see anything in that list that's of any real weight Tom - if the screws are holding it up what's the point of using no nails ?

20. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and I would't think screwfix peter would like you saying they sell a botch up product iether