Stud Work and Condensation on External Wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Wolf72, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Wolf72

Wolf72 New Member

Hi,

First time on here and looking for some advice. I have hunted on the Internet and seem to get some considerable contradiction.

We recently moved into a 1930s detached which has a very cold north facing wall in the dining room. We found pictures and furniture that were put up against that wall ended up with condensation behind them.

I have knocked dining room and kitchen into one and I now want to put kitchen cabinets up against this wall. My plan was to stud the wall, put celotex in between studding and then board/plaster over.

I am concerned that condensation may build up behind the studwork/celotex and so am torn as to what to do from here.

I would prefer to use wooden stud work mainly as that is what I have always used but this has ordinarily been in newer houses.

Am I okay to press ahead with normal studwork? Should I treat the wall behind the wood/celotex? Should I put a damp proof layer behind wood?

I want to fix cabinets directly to this studwork and so want to ensure it is up to the job and not end up with problems in the future.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

In this case the main thing to do is to get rid of any build up of water asap. So plenty of ventilation in the studding and in the finished walls. Therefore I would not use celotex or any membranes.

3. Wolf72

Wolf72 New Member

Thanks, I was a little concerned about moisture building up behind the studs, need I not worry about that? The wall will be almost completely covered with tower units so would you suggest I just stud it and not board it thus allowing more air to flow around it?

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The situation is predominantly difference in temperature causing condensation, at various times; as you have seen. So something gets put against the wall and it gets wet.

This is not the same as continuous damp.

I would board over the studs with ventilation. The wall will be a buffer between the cold outer wall. Condensation will form inside on occasion, but will disperse because it can do via the ventilation. That is all you can effect, at minimal cost.

5. jonnybegood

jonnybegood New Member

We've just moved into a property with similar problems condensation marks black stain etc. etc. I washed every thing with bleach opened windows over a long period (still on-going) extended heating times (expensive with open windows) but it has worked I've not seen any more black patches yet! so it would appear that air movement is the answer at first I thought rising damp but some of the marks were well over a mtr high which as we know cannot be rising damp

mr moose likes this.