Suggest a cheap/decent Tile cutter?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Dec 8, 2016.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Hi guys, I need to do some tiling with 500mm tiles and I'm looking for a decent yet cheap&cheerful tile cutter which would last me one bathroom worth of tile cutting and can cut decently tiles this size. I have got a smaller cutter already but that's no good for these large tiles.
    Anyone got any recommendations?
    I have found this Vitrex 102360 Heavy-Duty Tile Cutter 500mm
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/vitrex-102360-heavy-duty-tile-cutter-500mm-p17454

£24 ,however some of the amazon reviews suggested that it isn't the best tool out there,yet it had the less bad reviews out of almost all tile cutters on amazon..

If anyone can suggest me something better in ~£30 budget that would be great, or maybe this is good enough? I just need it for 1 time, and than it will probably be collecting dust for years so I'm not keen on spending a lot on it.

I have no problems buying an used tool as well if someone can give me some very good models that come up often on fleabay.

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire a professional one for a weekend/ week, it will handle the harder & larger tiles better.

RUBI DV-200 1000 is what I've hird in the past,cuts porcelain ,glazed stoneware, etc.

Joe95 and FatHands like this.
  3. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Seems like it would cost to hire one for a week 1/3 to 1/2 of what it costs to buy the tool myself... makes no sense to do that..
    Have never ever used tool hire companies because of the prices they charge, except for some very very specific and very expensive stuff which I have needed only for few hours.

4. Buy a cheap tool that doesnt work to the quality you want, and damage lots of tiles with poor cuts and breakages will give you a true cost, wasted money.

Better to use a good tool at a price than a bad tool that works out dearer.

I agree the idea of buying a tool outright makes more sense, but you need to compare like with like ?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Find a independent/family tool hire, got one here, I get better deal from them, than from Brandon,Speedy,HSS.etc, most hire places do 1 day hire.

6. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Yeah I just didn't know how much they cost, I have a very old crude russian made small tile cutter which has just worked perfectly for probably over 30+years and has made superb cuts.. had a quick look online how much a larger version that looks similar costs and seemed like some £25 for a manual one, so thought I will just get something like that and be done with it...

Until, I started to do more research and realized that EVERY cheap/average priced tile cutter sold now is a cheap junk, I mean seriously why do they even make those cheap tat items if they aren't even fit for purpose? I'm yet to find 1 good cutter under £60 ( I'm yet to research on more expensive ones) which can do it's supposed job.

Why oh why they flood the market with these nasty tat items and just waste the earths resources making them when they are good for nothing... :(

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

So cheap excellence you want then!!

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Sealey TC180 tile cutter (free off freecycle) same model is available under many brand names would cost about £80, great tile cutter.
    Had been looking for something lighter & more movable to cut some small tiles.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Alright guys thank you all for help, problem solved, asked my Dad if he got any tile cutter and what would you know I got a nice old properly made 60cm Rubi cutter :)

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, that's save you a few quid.[​IMG]

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You can also stamp on them. Score with tile cutter, place score line along the edge of a piece of ply, stand on it, then on the overhang stamp cleanly down with the other foot. I'm not joking either...
    If you're using porcelain tiles, the tile cutter will prob struggle. The main thing is to score once then really commit with 'the snapper'...

Joe95 likes this.