Suggest a Grout shade for Tiles?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Jan 17, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Hello Sirs, finally got to the stage where I can start laying tiles for bathroom and I need some grout for them however it's really hard to choose between the shades because there's simply no real samples anywhere to be seen, just some paint colour names on websites with 2cm large sample images...
    I have 2 tiles , these small travertine mosaic ones for shower floor/niches
    (I need to fill them as well, however I got no idea which is the standard colour for these to fill them out? something whiteish but not white? ivory/beige? )
    [​IMG]

and than for the rest of the bathroom walls I got these (kinda whiteish/but with hint of beige/grey spots to make it look like stone).
    link to wickes: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Battersea-Concrete-White-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-298-x-498mm/p/140601
    not able to post their picture.
    I do not think clear white or super dark grey would really go with them? + I do not want completely white anyway since it would get dirty with time.

Any pros here could maybe give me some ideas what would you use If you had to choose grout for such tiles? Also I think I need to have for each tiles different grout since they are completely different or not?

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

For the floor I would definitely go for grey.
    On the floor it will go grey anyway... it's not possible to keep it clean enough on the floor for it not to be grey.
    That's the voice of experience talking. I ignored that advice at the time... and was very wrong to do so!

On the walls I think the grey would work as well... if not, go for ivory.

Good luck,
    Regards,

Cando

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely grey for the floor, & for the wall ivory or grey, but there are several shades of greys available from a silver grey to dark grey, same applies to ivory, depends on brand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Was going to suggest the links KIAB has provided. Give ARDEX and MAPEI a call and they may send you a set of colour samples to choose from as they will be different to what you see on screen or printed. I have both sets here and they are very useful in helping to choose - I have no problems in getting hold of ARDEX grouts in any of the colours.

ARDEX also have a range of silicon that matches about 10 or 12 grout colours.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Grey.
    SOP for those tiles

6. Pollowick

Which grey? As you can see above, ARDEX do around ten different greys from very light to almost black!

KIAB and wiggy like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use to be indecisive but now I'm not sure!:rolleyes:

KIAB and wiggy like this.
  8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Really.

Medium grey is the industry standard for this type of tile, any other colour will render the warranty invalid.
    yeah.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. I'm with grey/ivory. Too much choice! Not that it is relevant but I hate Travertine tiles. All those little holes ..........

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are buggers to clean.:eek:

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. I bet when used in a shower CSI would be able to get DNA from everyone who had ever used it :eek::eek::eek:

KIAB likes this.
  12. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Thanks guys :) just went to tilegiant and turns out they had some actual samples you could see.
    went for the -Limestone.

13. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

If you want the grout to be the least conspicuous it's best to choose the colour one shade darker than the tile. Depending on the grout, you may need to add some latex to make it flexible for the floor.

I take it you bought the colour matched silicone to go with it.

KIAB likes this.
  14. wau5

wau5 Active Member

didn't bought it yet, going to order it online along with some other stuff, was some £20 at tilegiant, while online it's just £10 for the same stuff, and I need a couple of bags of it, total ripoff at TG lol.

15. wau5

wau5 Active Member

damn the Tilegiant is such a rip-off place, I found that someone had mentioned they have re-branded online store ( tilemagic ), checked it out and wow.. they charge 2-3x more in the store for literary everything they sell.. what the hell :D Some £70/m2 tiles I bought from them (just 1m2) cost there £38 ,
    that tile grout costs £20 in-store, online just £10.5
    metal tile beads , £20-£25 a piece in store, online from £9-£10

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y and 20kg bagged adhesive is £12-15 from the merchants and can be £40 from the sheds

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Fitted some glass mosaic tiles years ago that the customer bought from CTD, £85/sheet.
    Worked out at nearly £940/sq mtr. :eek:

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's why you need a trade account. Tiles/adhesives/grout = rip off! :)

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  19. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I'd go for the Mapei ash grey for the floor (almost the same as the Ardex silver shimmer) and the Mapei jasmine for the walls. Mainly Mapei because it's the easiest brand to pick up where I am!

20. Pollowick

I tend to use Apex Grange http://www.apexgrange.com/ for adhesives, grout and silicon. Very good prices and delivery to a fairly wide area.