Suggestions for radiator leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andrew Davison, Oct 16, 2017.

1. eondering if anyone has any tips they wouldn't mind sharing to help me stop a couple leaks.

I had to remove 3 radiators to fit new skirting and decorate. After reinstallation all 3 have a leak from the lock shield side only. 2 of the leaks or a slow seep and 1 is a slow drip.

I've tried tightening the fitting further but no improvement so my next plan of action is to drain the system. Remove the connections completely. Clean the thread and apply more PTFE tape plus some gas seal paste I've been given them get them nice and tight. Any other tips to make this time successful?

Luckily when I first took them off I fitted a drain point to one of them so that's making things a little easier.

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The existing lockshield valves could have just about been water tight due to copper pipe quality,installation technique and quality of valves.

If the olive is deeply embedded in the copper pipe you will struggle but Wrap the olive to valve mating surface with water ptfe like you are creating a gasket,dont over tight them and see how it goes.

3. Thanks Teach

The olives are quite tight on the copper pipes.
    Would it be best to use a pipe cutter to trim them off and try new ones, or best to leave that as a last resort? There is some play in the pipe so I could probably trim a small amount

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The ptfe gasket idea usually fixes that leak,if you go down the route of changing olives its best to exchange the complete lockshield valve inc nuts,olive and lockshield body.

You may have soft copper pipes or soft copper olives, ptfe ^ is the first remedy.