Suitable carpet for wooden parquet flooring

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by RobDiyNovice, Nov 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RobDiyNovice

RobDiyNovice New Member

My house was built in the late 1960s and has the original wooden parquet flooring in the lounge, dining room and hallway. As far as I can tell the house has a proper damp proof course, which is below the screed on which the parquet floor has been glued using what appears to be a thin layer of bitumen glue: so it does not seem that my wooden parquet floor with its bitumen glue is intended to act as a damp proof course.

Currently I am planning to put underlay (probably Cloud 9 Cirrus) and carpet down on top of the wooden parquet flooring. I am seriously considering choosing a carpet that is 100% polypropylene, as I like the colour options available and the stain resistance and stain protection aspects of polypropylene carpet. However, I am wondering if a carpet that is 100% polypropylene is suitable for laying on underlay on top of a wooden parquet floor. I am querying this because I have seen a couple of reports on the Internet of wooden parquet floors ‘buckling’ when a polypropylene carpet has been laid on top of them.

I should be grateful for any advice.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the reasons parquet floor buckles under carpets is not the type of carpet but using an electric shampoo machine. The water gets forced through the carpet at a high pressure into the wood. Then because of all the natural dips and hollows in the floor "ponds" there. Like all timber, parquet timber will swell with moisture.

The bitumen is actually the adhesive for the tile blocks and will act as a waterproofer both ways - stops water rising and carpet shampoo liquid from draining away.

So if you should be ok as long as you don't shampoo your carpet and don't follow the stupid adverts and use one of those steam cleaning wands on timber floors

RobDiyNovice likes this.
  3. RobDiyNovice

RobDiyNovice New Member

Thanks for your advice re cleaning. That is a good point and I will make sure that any carpet I put down on my parquet floor, if it has to be cleaned, is cleaned with the minimum of water.