Suitable paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by hoppa, Jan 15, 2015.

1. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Hi,

Just taken over a 2 bed council flat and intend to buy it in the near future.

The council gave me 125 pounds towards decorating costs.

It had all been heavily wallpapered for obvious reasons so in my mind in order to paint I decided to strip off all paper.

As you can imagine this has revealed all kinds of problems with walls.

The council have agreed to make good and skim the really bad walls but will not skim the half decent walls that are still patchy with a skim of paint which I cant remove.

I do not want to apply lining paper to these walls as when I come to buy it I will skim all walls.

I do not want to get involved in sanding and filling walls against skin of paint etc as too time consuming and could possibly buy after a year then as I said earlier will skim all walls.

My question is can I get away with applying 2 coats of paint which will hide the patchy layers of paint already on walls.

Is there any paint on the market which will allow me to paint walls temporarily and which will hide uneven surface.

Surely in this day and age they may have as we seem to have solutions for all kinds of problems.

Any advice would be welcome, feel Ive taken on far too much here, started as a tennant now feel like Im bloody buying the thing with all the work and effort Im putting in to make it good.

thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you are definitely going to buy it, why not skim the walls now, save a load of hassle in the future.

3. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Phil,

Fair comment and I must admit I agree and have thought of that.

However I am a tenant up until I qualify to buy it and wanted to live in it and to make sure everything okay before committing myself.

So why pay out approx 500 quid as a tenant, it just seems wrong.

I need to consider your suggestion as an option.

Thanks for taking the time to advise..

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How many walls need skimming?

5. hoppa

hoppa New Member

hi chippie,

say approx ten.

have been quoted 25 quid a wall

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So that's £250 not £500, sounds good to me.

caveman bulider likes this.
  7. hoppa

hoppa New Member

fair comment, worth thinking about!!

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That sounds bloody cheap to me, send your plasterer my way. LOL.

9. hoppa

hoppa New Member

okay i got it lol

10. Lasher

Lasher New Member

To be honest once you have given the walls one coat of paint it will show up all your imperfections even more.

11. They will skim all the other walls for just £250 extra?

There's the answer sitting right there, Hoppa.

You'd be nuts not to.

Nuts, I tell ye.