Summerhouse build- Build what is a fair price to pay

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Max Reed, May 17, 2015.

1. Max Reed

Max Reed New Member

Can anyone please tell me what is a fair price to pay per day to someone building a summerhouse from scratch with materials supplied by customer, also what is a fair time scale. Size 20ft x 25ft

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Only a Diy'er . by "someone" do you mean a joiner ,builder or whatever.
    Not being funny on the information given you could have asked for the length of a piece of string.
    I will attempt to obtain the necessary information so that the professionals on here can help you.
    It is quite large. Timber summerhouses do not usually need planning permission or involvement by
    Building Control but Brick or block construction might.
    Are you in a Conservation Area ?
    Have you considered what foundation you will need.
    A concrete slab might be appropriate or if it is timber you might just need timber bearers which could just be put on bare earth but they would not last long.
    Will it have insulation.
    Will it have a electricity supply?
    Tradespeople usually like to supply the materials themselves. After they have got them at trade prices added a mark-up it might not make much difference. Also because they have established trade accounts returns are usually easier.
    Over to you:)

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Have to agree with paul, way way to vague a question.

I build these things for a living, all be it in the air.

If you are after all singing all dancing bespoke, you are talking big bucks for something that size.

If you are just after a basic summer house from the likes at b+q or home base, then you would be better off buying one off the self and getting diy dave to put it up.

Keep it under 30m2 to avoid planning issues

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

£250 per day + materials + VAT!

FatHands likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

In your dreams....

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Am I too cheap then?

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Way too cheap astra

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Enlighten me ?

9. PaulBlackpool

25 feet by 20feet is massive for a summer house more like a summer palace. :) and is over 45 square meters so will probably have planning issues?
    If it is just of timber construction does the 30 square meter limit apply?
    As planning does vary a little in different parts of the UK if the OP wants to be completely legal maybe he should contact his local council , planning department.

10. Max.

How much do you expect to pay for the whole thing - ie: to end up with your summer house?

I presume you've checked the prices of ready-made (easy assemble) houses? There's a HUGE selection out there.

Anyways, I'd personally caution about taking anyone on on a day rate - you really don't want to be in the position of asking "Er, how much longer...?"

Get a fixed price for the labour, and nail down exactly what it covers - proper base, type of roof covering, whether painted, glazed, etc...

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

12. Yeah, but you'd take 4 months to build it... :p

13. PaulBlackpool

Looking at the Dunster house link DA provided there is the PremiumPlus Severn Sunlight W5.0m x D4.0m which might seem pricey but it looks a lot better than one I might cobble together!
    Not as expensive as some much smaller home offices.

14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

It could well take one man that long DA, depending on spec

A full on bespoke out building of 45m2, cedar shingle roof, 6x2 stud, fully insulated, cedar clad in and out, clad rafters, oak floor, kitchenette, full electrics etc etc

(depending on shape, round would take longer)

could well take one man 200 days to build.

By far the cheapest option is to buy pre made, but the quality and finish is crud by comparison

15. Eek - at Astra's 'cheap' daily rate, that would be £25k in labour alone... :oops:

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could be a good earner then!;)