Supa Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by plunger, Feb 9, 2007.

1. plunger

plunger New Member

Just been to see a customer with a dripping Supatap. Undid the head but automatic shut off valve did not completely stop the water. Can this be serviced/repaired or is it a new tap?If a new tap, where can you buy a wall mounted Supa tap or would it have to be a bib tap.

Last question, I did change the washer and even this did not stop the water from dripping which I thought it would irrespective of the faulty check valve.

Any guidance from those in the know much appreciated.

2. B&QSuck

B&QSuck New Member

From memory, supa taps are the horrible looking old taps where you twist the spouts to turn water on and off. I onlt remember seeing deck mounted ones, not mall mounted ones, but principle would be the same I assume.

If these are the type you are dealing with, they have very specific washers, and are also prone to internal cracks which cause them to pass, even with new washers.

IMHO you'd be better off replacing with new, more modern style taps. If they are wall mounted, then there are plenty of decent bib taps around

3. britishblue

britishblue New Member

It doesn't really matter if the automatic shut off stops the water completely, provided that it stops it sufficiently for you to be able to remove the part of the tap containing the washer for maintenance. Which it obviously did, as you managed to change the washer.

The only reason that I can think of, that the tap would still drip after fitting a new washer, is that the seat of the tap that the washer presses against, is either pitted or covered in limescale. Remove the tap again and see if you can scrape off any limescale using a flat screwdriver blade.

I think that supataps are no longer manufactured.

BB

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I presume that you did replace the washer with a supatap washer (a brass item with a brass pin that locates in the tap and a rubber insert moulded into it).

BB

5. plunger

plunger New Member

Many thanks for your replies. Did manage to change the washer but it was not a brass one, plastic, which was provided by CityPlumbing as a Supatap washer. I will try and get a brass one.

6. Garfield

Garfield Member

i never did find a supatap that shut off completely.

7. plunger

plunger New Member

Sorted this out with a proper washer rather than the rubbish that City Plumbing gave me. Thanks for help.

8. pocketminx

pocketminx New Member

Hi Guys
    we have tall standing supa taps at home and they are brilliant, mainly because i'm used to them
    grew up with them - especially good to fill kettles and large pans or for shallow sinks... in fact we are looking to buy new ones when we replace our sink this summer.

For those of you having problens with drippy nozzles following washer change - May i reccommend that you use two or three soft washers - the more rigid type do not cope so well if the tap is decades old - good luck from a Supatap residential owner .

9. pocketminx

pocketminx New Member

ps the brass fitting type only work well if the tap has not had the threading redone

10. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

oh my god had forgot about those taps,
    anyone remember nuralite the alternative to lead
    happy days doing my apprentaship

11. EvoCooky

EvoCooky New Member

Holy thread-resurrection Batman! This seemed like a good place to ask about Supa Taps, my apologies for dragging an old thread out of the archives.

I have a set of Supa taps that work well, apart from the cold tap has a very limited flow. It looks like the 'trigger' for the automatic shut-off has snapped off so the shut-off valve is effectively active all the time (thankfully it doesn't work very well so we still get water through). I have the tap off and had a quick poke at it but I can't see any way of replacing or removing the shut-off valve, does anyone know if it's possible?

Due to it's age, it's difficult to tell what's part of the casting and what's a separate part. My guess is the valve seat is actually an insert, but I don't want to try pulling it out as I will destroy the tap if I'm wrong. The other option is to try and wedge the shut-off valve out of the way so it doesn't restrict the flow, I'm thinking a plastic stick/toothpick/something?

Any suggestions or ideas welcome, it would be great to keep these taps in situ if possible!

cheers
    Mark