Superdec instead of Stain for Repaired Garage Door ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by wingit, May 12, 2015.

1. wingit

wingit Member

I've just repaired an wooden garage door that had wet rot .. now solid. The finish is a mix of fiber glass type filler, some bare wood and the solid stain coating from original surface. I've tried coating with Ronseal 5 year stain .. and although only 2 coats so far this is clearly not going to give a uniform colour finish with light and dark patches. Although the original finish was definitely a stain (oil based Wickes) it looked more like a paint but I suppose did have a very slightly translucent look I guess .. after some investigation Sadolin Superdec opaque seems to be an answer .. walnut would give the right colour .. any comments on colour coverage and whether it will look COMPLETELY different from the original full covered stain. There's an adjacent door that I'd need to do also to match-up. I suppose I haven't got many options though if I don't want the door looking like a dogs dinner?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sadolin Superdec opaque is good stuff it will however look more like a paint finish than a stain.

3. That sounds like what he's after :)

Wingit, does what you've already applied adhere ok to the fibreglass? It probably will, but worth a check?

(And we'll want photos :) )

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

....and you might have more success in matching if you rough the glassfibre up, like with really coarse glasspaper and wire brush. Rather than silky smooth!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. rimce44

rimce44 New Member

I can also recommend Sadolin Superdec. LGC Decorators have painted all the woodwork a few years ago and it's still like new. Really good paint and superb painters in London.

6. How's it going, wingit?

Have you tried the Superdec and is it sticking to the fibreglass ok?

I have found that some types of paint (ok, I'm talking 'masonry'...) will stick to just about anything - timber, metal, fibreglass, rubber, many plastics and even concrete.

However, paints and finishes more specific to timber might not be so tolerant. Just wondered how it's going for you. You might have to end up going for an opaque finish - an actual solid paint colour for the garage door, as opposed to a wood finish.