Supply Alteration

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mrppp, Oct 21, 2016.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Had price from SSE to move supply, but they will not go more than 3 meters into property. He suggested running a sub cable so that they connect to an outside wall location where I want it. Is this ok with say building regs running a 25mm armoured cable to my own 80 A isolation switch, then connecting to my consumer unit?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes, fine.

If your route doesn't include the cable being buried in walls, split concentric is a cheaper an easier alternative to SWA. Your switch fuse would need to be AMD3 compliant, such as a new Wylex one.

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Hi, Yes my board is AMD3 (Hager) , so from SSE termination at meter run some split concentric straight to the consumer unit, no need for any other isolation between that and meter?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As Lectrician has stated If the run from the meter to your consumer unit is more than 3 metres you will nedd a switch fuse at the meter end. The size of the fuse being whatever the size of SWA requires.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Screenshot 2016-10-21 10.14.06.png
    Like this

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Yes thanks so as originally thought.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Depending on the fuse in the cut out and the Ze is low enough for the Zs at the end of the run, you may not need to add a switch fuse. Just an isolator will be enough.

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What exactly is meant by 'AMD3 compliant' in relation to,the switch fuse?
    Not aware that there has been any new requirement for them.

9. Lectrician

Consumer units and similar equipment, or wording like that. A switch fuse is essentially a one way consumer unit.

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Those KMF's I put in on the last three jobs are no good then if thats the case. . .Ferk it. .its in now!

seneca likes this.
  11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Nope, different standards.
    Not called CUs now, DBOs (DB for Ordinary persons).

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

1. (i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or
    2. (ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.
    NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

13. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Is there enough room in a recessed meter box for one of these? (switch fuse)

14. Lectrician

I would say any distribution equipment would need to comply, as do NIC etc, and obviously manufacturers, as they are producing them, at a similar cost to their counter parts.

You cannot use a meter box for any of your kit. You can add a second meter box.

15. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Apart from CEF who else sell 25mm² Split Concentric Cable

16. Lectrician

80amp.......are you sure you need 25?

Any wholesaler can get, most in my area stock it.

17. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Well the tails to 80A switch unit are 25mm, the SSE fuse is 80A thought it best to keep the continuity

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So you have a 80a cut out fuse going to a 80a switch fuse?

19. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Currently i don't, at the moment i just have an 80A cut out fuse with tails to consumer. But want to move consumer other side of house. My thinking now is forget SSE and their finger in the air prices, just run a sub main leaving meter and incoming main where it is.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What I did was get the REC to fit a new service fuse and British Gas to put in an isolator. I then ran tails off the isolator into an adaptable box and made off my swa three core into that. The swa then runs to the cu (AMD 3 compliant) in the kitchen, about a 5m run. Zs for the Zdb is compliant with the cut out fuse so I'm happy. That three meter rule/need for a s/f is a load fairy dust.