Supply Alteration

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mrppp, Oct 21, 2016.

1. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

But if i have a 15m run of cable it will basically be unprotected apart from the service fuse if no switch fuse is used.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Indeed. The service fuse works in exactly the same way as the fuse in s/w. It doesn't possess any magical properties that make it work any differently. So if you know what type of fuse you have and you know the Ze, you can calculate the minimum Zs to check your choice of SWA is up to the mark.

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

So really i could in that case put a Switch fuse in location of Consumer unit, that way isolating the CU from SF both located together, still having the Split Concentric Cable protected by service fuse

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I don't think you really get this tbh mate. Sorry but there ya go.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

As I already stated, there are different standards for CUs and Switch-fuses.
    The standard for CUs (DBOs) is now BS EN 61439-3, for Switch-fuses it is still BS EN 60947-3.

The requirements for CUs do not apply to Switchfuses.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The BS may be different, but it doesn't mean the reg does not apply. The reg doesn't mention BS numbers.

leesparkykent likes this.
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I reckon spin is correct mate. The regs really wanted cu's, as in distribution points, to be amd 3. A s/w isn't really a distribution point. Also, by your reckoning, FCU's would now have to be amd 3 compliant.

8. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Yeah, i understand you don't need a switch unit as the service fuse is protecting it. However having a switch unit where the consumer unit is makes live easy having them together should i wish to isolate all power entering the CU. They have their service fuse I have my switch fused unit ;-)

9. spinlondon

Perhaps I am reading the wrong Reg?
    421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As before, the DNO will insist on a switch/fuse if the distance is >3metres. Although there's very little point if your switch fuse size is the same as the supply fuse. The DNO fuse could well pop before your fuse does.
    What about discrimination?

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Right. So get you supplier to fit an isolater and run what you want off of that when they have gone.

12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

dcusa.PNG Coloumbs advice is poor and imo you should pay no attention to it! Carry on as you were and fit a switch fuse. This is what any electrician worth his salt would do.

DCUSA (distribution and connection use of system agreement) states that anything over three meters should have switch fuse installed.

Bazza likes this.
  13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sounds like you've got a big chip on your shoulder fella. Why is this poor advice? Please substantiate your claim! And where is the link to the DCUSA doc?

14. leesparkykent

There is no point in me repeatedly explaining it to you which has happened on a few occasions now on the same subject if you haven't grasped it by now ;)

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

TRANSLATION - I can't substantiate my claim so I'll post up a smoke screen...

16. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I think from a personal point of view, having a fused switch unit after the meter is better for me. In future any work that needs total isolation can be done without a need for a service fuse removal. I will call the metering company explain what I want to achieve, maybe they will do it for free? ( Not that i'm a tight ****) Ideally SSE move it all but they just pluck fees from the air, if i need to dig a trench so be it but put my own cable in it not theirs.

leesparkykent likes this.
  17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Have you actually bothered to READ 434.2.1?

18. leesparkykent

Yes this is how it should be done. SSE wont do it for free, they would probably be willing to give you a price/quote as they have an installation division but will more than likely be a lot heavier than if you got some one local in to do it. Just make sure they are reputable as there's a few cowboys floating about :).

19. spinlondon

Weird, posts the advice given by the association of meter operators, then says the advice is poor and goes on to quote some supply agreement which says the same thing?

20. leesparkykent

What's weird?