Supporting Wall Removal Under Stairs

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by James Leclercq, May 7, 2017.

1. James Leclercq

James Leclercq New Member

Hello, I need some assistance with a project. I'm planning on putting in some under stair storage in the hallway, however one of the walls appears to be supporting the stairs.

I'm planning on using a C16 timber triangle frame but I'm not sure the best way to ensure each individual step is supported. I inagine each step needs support on it's horizontal?

I have attached some photos to show what I'm working with, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not 100% following you, so what you looking to do, remove block wall and replace with timber? Is the block wall where the small opening is?

3. James Leclercq

Hey Jord, thanks for coming back to me. Yes, the brick wall runs from small cupboard opening on the left to the first step of the staircase on the right. I'd like to open up the whole front with a timber frame & then put in place a three door under stair storage unit. Just not sure how/if I need to support each step or whether a diagonal timber running below the steps would be enough.

Let me know if you need more info! Thanks again, James

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A photo of the bottom and top of your stairs would be helpful to determine newel arrangement and any structure support.

5. James Leclercq

Hi Jord, attaching some more photos to hopefully make it clearer. Thanks! James

Attached Files:

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Cheers, it looks no issue to remove the blocks under the stair string, provided you're only opening up the spandrel(triangular section) area under the stairs, and not the whole wall going back, as that is most certainly load bearing. As the back of your staircase is open, I'd take this opportunity to add screws into the backs of the risers and treads to strengthen and add new triangular glue blocks with plenty of glue and a screw to hold them in position tight to the step intersection. Also check all wedges are tight and secure, all this will lessen any creaks you may have.

ELK81 likes this.
  7. James Leclercq

Hey Jord, thanks - that sounds great. I will certainly do all of that. Just checking, could you please clarify what you mean by "not the whole wall going back"? Thanks, James

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It appears that you have a ground floor stairwell wall next to the staircase going up into the bedroom dividing the stairwell from the bedroom. As long as you weren't thinking of removing any of that, just the triangular section you'll be fine. The straight middle section of a staircase is nearly always self supporting, hence why you can remove the spandrel section, as it's where the top and bottom parts of the staircase anchors is the critical part.

9. James Leclercq

Perfect - music to my ears! Thanks very much for your help & guidance! James

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No problem, just watch yourself when you take out the blocks above the cupboard door, leave the frame in and take the blocks out first, save dropping on your toe. :confused:

11. James Leclercq

Good thinking! One last question please - for the diagonal frame, do I need to add to it to support the horizontal slats of the steps? I've drawn a picture the show what I mean... thanks, James

Attached Files:

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, just fit the frame/lining flush to the edge of the stairs, any unsightly gap can be covered by a small bead. If you renew the glue blocks, add screws through the risers into the treads (pilot drilled first) and glue and hammer wedges tight the stairs will be more than strong enough.

13. Tony C

Tony C New Member

It's not a supporting wall, it's a cubbyhole. The support wall is the other side, which the stairs themselves only need to pin on the floor above. There won't be any block or solid wall on this side, it'll be a stud wall. Built for the same reason you mention - storage. You won't need anything for the stairs, not even acro support. Go in your cubbyhole, find any solid wall you can call me a liar, but even then you can rip it out no fear. All the best with your interior design :)

14. jenniferj1984

jenniferj1984 New Member

Sorry for jumping on thread threa. Mine is the same and is brick

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Not according to the photo.

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Definitely looks brick but am not gonna call you a liar

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not to embarrass anyone with poor eyesight but seeing as the OP hasn't been seen on this thread since last May, perhaps my original advice was incorrect and he's now a bit dead? :confused:

Sparkielev likes this.
  18. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Well spotted Jord, why do people do that?

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What, listen to my advice? Couldn't agree more! :) Not sure why, perhaps too lazy to start a new thread, or just may not be aware its an old one. Or they're bored.